Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Perry, I just read the rest of the chapters...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2002, 11:01 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Perry, I just read the rest of the chapters...

Amazing! I cannot believe your determination, it's astounding to say the least. I can't wait to hear that you've got the car back on the road, hope everything goes well...again. For those of you lazy people out there who haven't read this man's story, here's the link:

<a href="http://home.fuse.net/Porsche951/illfatedrebuild.htm" target="_blank">http://home.fuse.net/Porsche951/illfatedrebuild.htm</a>
Old 04-16-2002, 11:16 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
excellent reading!
Old 04-16-2002, 11:33 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
Thanks. I tell it like it is. I sure will be great when it is back. I am anxious to see it all together. It will be close to showroom shape, with some goodies and 340rwhp. Good times!

My buddy with the GTI has a story of dealer run-around that will make you cry like a baby, then smash your desk and punch your wife. He can orate with the best of them, so hopefully he can write 1/2 that good. Currently the car does not run, been at 4 dealers 7 diffrent times, and now WV wants to pull the extended warantee he paid $3200 for. Sick man, sick.

It needs a DME. I knew that from day one, but VW replaced the MAF twice, bypass valve twice, converter once, and the turbo and wastegate once. It will run about a week before going into limp mode for a few days, then shutdown occours. During this whole time, the check engine light never comes on, and the DME always shows and overboost code (and it is not overboosting), AUX air injection failure (same as our Idle control motor, and it works fine), and some other funky codes here and there. But the check engine light never comes on.

Well.. now after the run around, and the HORRID customer service, not only will he win the lawsuit, but neither of us will ever buy a VW product again. Shame, he loved that car, and I did too. I was going to buy one once the 951 is on the road and paid for.
Old 04-17-2002, 10:53 AM
Turby
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow.............I cant believe I never took the time to read that before. And I thought I had bad luck. Wow......wow.....wow I hope It all works out. -Turby
Old 04-17-2002, 01:20 PM
951sickness
Instructor

Hi Perry,

You would take the honors in the persistance area. Actually, after reading your ordeal I do feel better about my current situation with my waterpump. I can't imagine rebuilding the head more than once. I have begun calling my car the anti-christ. Best of luck to you on the repair of the fire damage.

Cheers,

Gerry
Old 04-17-2002, 02:36 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by 951sickness:
<strong>I have begun calling my car the anti-christ.</strong><hr></blockquote>
Hahah.
Old 04-17-2002, 05:22 PM
elf89
Pro

Perry,

I enjoyed reading the rest of the story too. Good luck getting it back together...hopefully for the last time.

By the way, even if he does enjoy it, your dad is a saint! Keep us up to date on the progress.
Old 04-17-2002, 05:50 PM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

My God does the word Honda sound nice after reading that. If I read that before I bought my car I would not have bought my car. I am buying a fire extinguisher TONIGHT. Sorry for the bad luck, obviously a character building experience for you. I'm sure with persistance like that your an awesome firefighter. Best of wishes to you in the rebuild.

Nick
Old 04-17-2002, 08:31 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
There's bad luck as well as good.

Last weekend I tried my cruise control again, just for the hell of it, and instead of constantly accelerating, it held at the set speed! A miracle! A self-healing Porsche!

Yesterday, I took my car in to my mechanic to get him to listen to a really annoying resonant buzz in the exhaust system. I thought for sure it needed a new muffler or cat, but all it took was a few turns on the bolts holding the blowoff to the exhaust pipe. Another miracle!

Don't get me wrong, I've had a few problems with this car. You have to take the good with the bad, and there's lots of good.
Old 04-17-2002, 08:59 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Yeah, that's just it. I don't think I'd pay $20 if my hubcap got stolen on a Honda, but I will spend almost $50 for the privilage of hand-buffing my 944 to a like-new shine.
Old 04-17-2002, 09:03 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

[quote] By the way, even if he does enjoy it, your dad is a saint! <hr></blockquote>

Either you mean by not killing me after reading the story of the race, or turning a 911 into a GT2. I would assume not killing me.

I know he read it, but he has not said anything.... who knows. If I dissapear from the boards for a while, I am in the hospital with major internal bleeding from his non stop *** kicking. Times like this you are glad mom and dad are 10 hours away. Although, it would be good to have him here.
Old 04-17-2002, 09:57 PM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

If I was a millionaire I would give you the money to make it perfect.
Old 04-18-2002, 01:00 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

[quote] If I was a millionaire I would give you the money to make it perfect. <hr></blockquote>

I'll wait for you to make your millions! Cash, check, money transfer.. whatever is easiest.
Old 04-18-2002, 03:21 PM
Loki
Instructor

Perry, thanks for the story. Glad I read it. I'm sorry about your troubles, but your persistance(sp?) is bar none. Great Dad too! I currently have the tranny, torque tube, clutch, all rear/front suspension and top end of the motor, on the floor of the garage. I will never do torsion bars again, will do coil-overs, but hind sight is 20/20.
For cheap OEM rebuild parts(may be common knowledge) <a href="http://www.carpartstogo.com" target="_blank">www.carpartstogo.com</a>
I got all my gaskets and sealing rings for about half price. The BOV(993) was 21$. It does help to know the part numbers.
Thanks to every one that posts on this sight.
Chris

Quick Reply: Perry, I just read the rest of the chapters...