Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

timing light?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 04:03 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing light?

anyone end up doing this?
i am goign to try workign with it in ms paint, but i am assuming i wont be able to change dimensions to make it right.

1. are the numbers to the right in degrees before top dead center?
2. i assume that if this is correct, you can not change the ignition timing like you can on a traditional v8 when the car is running? have to keep turnign it off and readjust?
3. this does the cam and ignition in one, so what is the safest to go to?

from f.r. wilk site:http://www.the944.com/
1. To download [and save] a printable copy of the artwork, press this button.
2. Printing:
1. Print out artwork on plain white paper [but it will work better on a thicker card stock].
2. Use a graphics program. Save as a bitmap with 300dpi resolution.
3. Print art at 300dpi.
3. Verify accuracy using a ruler. If the 2-inch scale on the art does not match your ruler, you have changed the scale of the artwork somehow. Do not use.
4. Place a layer, or two, of clear Scotch Tape over the degree section of the art. This will keep the printing from smearing.
5. Cut along top and bottom curves of art.
6. Cut out rectangular area at 0 degrees. This will help you align the art with the painted notch in the cam gear.
7. Remove distributor and cam gear cover.
8. Clean the face of the cam gear with sandpaper. Wipe area with Acetone or Lacquer Thinner.
9. Glue artwork to the gear with Rubber Cement. Align the lower curve of the art to the curve of the gear face.
10. Replace cam gear cover and distributor.
11. Now you can use your timing light to view your engine timing through the small view window of the cam gear cover.

i recently put a new timing belt on my car, i believe clarks garage is wher ei have always gotten the directions to check timing...they say to set the cam gear timing mark about 1.5 teeth before the mark on the housing right?

this last time, i put the mark straight up with the housing...my car sounds freakign awesome with bass, the sound is incredibly deep, but it seems to me that it is revving down slower and has a ton less power.(live in hilly area and used to get up the hill for work in third flyign past everyone but now seems to have trouble moving)

i am goign to change it back to where i normally put it(i am assuming 1 tooth out) and hopefully get the timing set right.

for my 5.0 mustangs, i believe stock ignition timing is 10*btdc(cam isn't moved from stock)....but what is best for 944 if i can actually set it by that?
Old 04-15-2008, 05:18 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't get it... do you want to cut one tooth off your cam gear?
Old 04-15-2008, 07:46 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

i am guessing that it goes by tension on the belt(?)
Old 04-16-2008, 04:12 AM
Daily944
Racer

From what I understand the timing is DME controlled. Last smog check the tech was going down the list when he got to timing he went to grab his light and 'oh, i can't check the timing'. Which threw me for the loop. Only thing I can think of for retarding the timing would be the FQS(fuel quality switch) on the DME. As it does change the timing based on fuel quality/octane.

I could be way off.. all i can think of on the subject.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:56 AM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have used the inspection hole on the cam gear cover to verify that the timing was correct, but without an adjustble cam gear, there is not much you can do. Each tooth on the gears translates to 4 deg (??) or more (8deg ??) of actual timing which is way too much. A few deg advanced is all you ever realy need to change it, and that would be only for those looking for the few extra HP gained as it would not be much even on modded engines.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:06 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

i found the mention of 1.5 teeth before the mark......
couldnt find it here, on clarks or another site but found it here:
www.arnnworx.com
Old 04-18-2008, 01:57 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kennycoulter
i found the mention of 1.5 teeth before the mark......
couldnt find it here, on clarks or another site but found it here:
www.arnnworx.com
Once proper tension is applied to the t-belt, the timing marks should realign themselves.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:01 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the whole 1.5 teeth thing is simply for applying tension to the correct side of the belt while setting the physical tension. otherwise after you rotate the engine twice the belt will be loose in the wrong spots. After you get to TDC, turn it back 1.5 teeth of cam gear rotation. Then set tension. Is this what you are reffering to?
Old 04-18-2008, 03:20 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

With the piston @ TDC (and the flywheel marks aligned), the mark on the cam gear should line up perfectly with the cam housing. The 1.5 you're referring to means that after you install the new belts or are tensioning the existing belt, you need to rotate the crank CCW approximately 1.5 teeth after it’s installed to remove tension from the longest belt span to accurately check belt tension. That's it.

It's not intended as a performance mod to use the toothed housing to set base timing as it's electrically controlled and a full tooth off is a bad thing for performance and quite possibly for your valves.

And yes, base timing on you mustang is 10BTDC however the factory marks are actually around 7 and you’ll pick up the most power around 13-14. Don’t go beyond 15 BTDC base timing with the spout connector removed because EEC4 will pull timing out.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:30 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

i think i used to set it about 1 tooth ahead before.
my car feels slower now that it is lined up correctly.
seriously rediculously slower. driving around normal everything feels fine, but once i start up a hill or need to get onto the highway, the car wants to move even less than it used to.
i had to drive it today before i got to work on it, i am letting it cool so i can recheck.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:22 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

hopefully this shows. this is basically where i used to set my marks......car used to run better.
at this moment, i am still letting my car cool down before i take the plugs out to turn the engine over to re-check timing.

it took me forever to find this picture that i had posted almost exactly 3 years ago.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:18 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

If your flywheel marks are set dead on, you're off a full tooth.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:15 AM
kennycoulter
Drifting

by the picture right?
Old 04-21-2008, 12:54 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Actually I can't tell by your picture. I'm assuming the red marks are accurate but the notch in the gear needs to line up with the notch in the cover. I can't tell if the red paint is on the actual notches.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:06 PM
Homer
Instructor

Am I correct in my understanding that if I hooked up a timing light to the #1 wire and pointed it at the bell housing opening, I should be in-time with the mark?

I have never tried, but I am curious since the cam gear-belt setting always seems ok, but not precise. I think I have a light around somewhere.

Quick Reply: timing light?