Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch, Transmission and belts...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 03:50 AM
ccaarmerciill
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch, Transmission and belts...

I currently have an S2 transmission sitting in the garage, and my clutch is on its way out. So I think in one shot I'm going to replace my noisy transmission and do a full clutch kit at once. But the problem lies here, I am also overdue for a new timing belt, espescially after driving x-country. All this work together for me would take at least a week, I am inexperienced, and have little tools. My 944 is my daily driver, and only driver. So I might have to resort to paying a mechanic . How much would you all estimate all this to be done? I know a clutch job and belts etc are close to price about $1,600... but do you think I could possibly get a deal for doing so much at once? Sheesh, I'm also forgetting I need something fixed in the rear suspension ( Vibration at highway speeds ) ontop of that all my hoses and fuel lines need to be replaced (hard rubber) althought fuel lines in the rear need to be moved anyway for the later year transmission crossmemeber. Any suggestions?

or anyone in the New Haven area able to make this possible for me to do myself?
Old 04-09-2008, 08:24 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Wow, only 60k miles and your clutch is on the way out and trans is noisy!
I had 240k on my original clutch and trans for my 84' 944. You may get a deal depending on where you go, but it is unlikely. And the $1600 I would bet on just being labor costs, not parts. Last time I had a belt and tensioner change done by a shop it was near $600 just for that (labor and parts) and when I looked into a clutch job for labor and parts it was over $2,000.

Have you tried adjusting your clutch pedal, what are the symptoms? For a noisy trans I would try a fluid change to Redline MT-90. Is this noise, gear whine, synchro crunching during shifts, or bearing whine? Also the later transmissions have the provisions for the early 944 trans mounts (2 on each side) vs the single mount and crossmember PIA of the later 944's.

I have a 86' 951 tranny in my 83' Callaway 944 with the double mounts. Fits perfectly!

I have some used 944 clutch parts if you are interested. I have a 225 SACHS pressure plate and organic rubber hub disc w/ just under 30k miles on them. The rubber is in great shape with no tears, rips, or disentegration. As I said I have my original clutch in my 84' NA. I also have needle bearings for the fork, new guide tube, and maybe a rear main seal as well.

Take care!
Old 04-09-2008, 08:14 PM
ccaarmerciill
Rennlist Member

The car was basically tracked, I knew an abandoned mountain road up in San Francisco that I visited frequently. The clutch was fine before the cross country trip, me and my roomate switched on and off for the 3 days driving. And lets just say he hasn't driven a standard in awhile...

symtoms for clutch are = major slipping when cold. Double bucking and crisp shifts are no longer there. It just feels sloppier than it was before. And every car I've own was a standard so I know how a good clutch should feel. The transmission is not grinding at all while changing gears, only a very loud whine/ whirr sound. Changing trans oil did little help, and I was told by a porsche mechanic that it was the inner pinion bearing whining, and it would just be cheaper to buy a whole new transmission than to rebuild. in which i did ( up to a S2 ). Thanks for the offer on the OE clutch, but I think I'm going to go with a Sachs spring. But you only paid $600 for labor for the timing belt work?

Last edited by ccaarmerciill; 04-09-2008 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:35 PM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

I no longer have the reciepts for my old 944 (with the new owner now) but I had replaced both belts, one tensioner and the H20 pump was not changed and it was $580-$600 for parts and labor. This was not at the dealer but a very reputable foreign car shop (mainly German and Swedish cars).

I don't blame you for wanting to go with the Spring hub, a clutch job is nothing to do twice (ask me I did mine 3 times in one summer )
Old 04-10-2008, 02:25 AM
ccaarmerciill
Rennlist Member

I am dying to find someone in my area that has done this kind of work before, as it would save me countless hours. Reading a thred or book on how to do it, and having someone experienced in the garage is a huge difference.

Quick Reply: Clutch, Transmission and belts...