Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting Problem -- Please Help -- Early 944 NA

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 03:51 AM
loftygoals
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Problem -- Please Help -- Early 944 NA

I recently replaced the front engine seal, rebuilt the throttle body, added an oil cooler, changed the oil, changed the coolant, replaced the plugs, replace the plug wires, replaced the vacuum lines, replaced the intake manifold gaskets, replaced the rear cam tower gasket, deleted the A/C, installed new belts, had the fuel injectors cleaned, replaced the air filter, adjusted the idle, adjusted the throttle position sensor, replaced the water pump, replaced the thermostat, replaced all the rollers and tensioners, and replace the oil pump drive gear.

After all of that, the car ran fine. Then I come out and try to start it—it turns over, starts, and then putters out. If I put the gas to the floor, it dies after peaking at 1000 RPMs.

I removed the nut at the end of the fuel rail and connected a hose to a catch can. When I crank the motor, I seem to get an ample amount of fuel.

I have also used a tester to check spark. I seem to be getting spark.

So what could it be? I’m guessing a problem in fuel delivery. What do you think? Any help is appreciated!

-bj
Old 03-31-2008, 04:48 AM
Jusii
Instructor

Check the vacuum lines. Had similar problem in the past, and found one loose hose under the j-boot.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:58 AM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jusii
Check the vacuum lines. Had similar problem in the past, and found one loose hose under the j-boot.
This happened to me just the other day.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:39 PM
loftygoals
Rennlist Member

It was indeed a vacuum leak. It turns out I over adjusted the screw valve on the throttle body. I tightened it back down, backed it off half of a turn, and like magic it started again.

Thanks for the help!

-bj

Quick Reply: Starting Problem -- Please Help -- Early 944 NA