Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 11:43 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

you are going to need someone to put the springs on the struts. that will take your time. you cant compress the springs yourself.

i would drive to a shop beforehand and make arrangements for them to do the springs.

You may also want to get a seasoned wrench to do the ball joints. you pull the arms and give him the parts. If you hit it in the wrong way you killed the cap. unless you have the proper tools.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:47 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
you are going to need someone to put the springs on the struts. that will take your time. you cant compress the springs yourself.
Originally Posted by N/a 944
I would be doing them in autoshop, so I have access to a lift.
I would assume his autoshop has spring compressors. Even I have a set of spring compressors in my garage and I am just a weekend warrior.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:44 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

You can use the weight of the car to compress/decompress the springs. Undo the nut before lifting the car, then when you lift it up it will slowly decompress safely. And vice versa. I myself bought a true spring compressor for $40.

I have 250lb springs and koni struts & shocks. With the konis set to fully stiff, it feels balanced. With the konis set to fully soft, there is way too much spring - the car actually bounces over bigger bumps. If you haven't bought the parts yet, you're welcome to come down and drive my car to see how you like it with the different settings. My car's setup is koni fronts and rears, 250lb welty springs, with stock 968 parts otherwise.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:02 AM
N/a 944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrenan
I would assume his autoshop has spring compressors. Even I have a set of spring compressors in my garage and I am just a weekend warrior.
I check today, we don't have a lift in my autoshop (GD budget cuts!!!! Mr. Govenator, my district NEEEDS money, stop taking it away from us kids!)
Old 04-02-2008, 02:03 AM
N/a 944
Racer

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
You can use the weight of the car to compress/decompress the springs. Undo the nut before lifting the car, then when you lift it up it will slowly decompress safely. And vice versa. I myself bought a true spring compressor for $40.

I have 250lb springs and koni struts & shocks. With the konis set to fully stiff, it feels balanced. With the konis set to fully soft, there is way too much spring - the car actually bounces over bigger bumps. If you haven't bought the parts yet, you're welcome to come down and drive my car to see how you like it with the different settings. My car's setup is koni fronts and rears, 250lb welty springs, with stock 968 parts otherwise.
Hah, I would REALLY like if I could see what that was like beforehand...
You going to be busy this weekend?
Old 04-02-2008, 02:04 AM
N/a 944
Racer

I will have someone else do the ball joints based on what Tom said b.t.w.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:03 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah balljoints on aluminum control arms look like a nice big PITA - perfect candidate for the local machine shop.

I'm driving at Laguna Seca on Monday, so this weekend I will be taking care of a few things on my car - I'll have to stick around here. But you're welcome to come down. Personally I prefer the konis set to fully soft, it's much more comfortable and enjoyable for me. I'll set them to stiff for the track day though. I'm only talking about the fronts - I'm too lazy to remove the rears to adjust them.

Quick Reply: Suspension question