Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing weltmeister poly inner and Racer's Edge Derlin outer torsion bar bushings

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 02:27 PM
ZPmadA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing weltmeister poly inner and Racer's Edge Derlin outer torsion bar bushings

My car's torsion bar is very noisy when it is cold outside (below 40 degrees). The previous owner installed Weltmeister Polyurethane inner bushings and Racers Edge Delrin outer bushings. They are especially loud if it is 20 degrees outside. I have heard OEM bushings are no longer made. Does anyone have experience with the elephant racing bushings? Are they truly silent? I was quoted $600 just for labor to replace torsion bar bushings. I heard it was an easy job so I wasn't expecting a quote like that. I would do it myself but I don't feel comfortable lifting up the back end. I know where to put the jack stands in the front, but never jacked up the back. Should I stick with the Weltmeister polyurethane inner and Racers Edge outer bushings? Does anyone else have these on their car and find them annoying?
Old 03-21-2008, 02:31 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have the ER poly bronze bushings and they're dead silent. It's an easy job to complete but can be time consuming. ER had install instructions floating around here that made the job a lot easier and you didn't have to drop the entire t-bar housing.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:41 PM
ZPmadA
Racer

Here are the instructions if anyone is interested:
http://www.elephantracing.com/projec...ngplatediy.htm

Where is the safest place to put the jack stands under the rear of the car? I've never jacked the back end up, just the front and I put them under the front frame rail.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:29 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car is up in the air right now... I'm just finishing the torsion bars. Have done the whole assembly and will be reinstalling it tonite and tomorrow.

You can lift the rear from the bottom of the transmission. I put the front of the car on ramps. Then I lifted the rear from the transmission and I placed stands under the torsion bar assembly to start. IF you look there is actually a jack stand point towards the rear of the side rocker panels. Using a second set of stands with a small piece of 2x4 to make it level and distribute the force, I then supported the weight of the rear end using this second set of jack stands placed at the rockers. I removed the first set of stands from the torsion bar assembly and voila, Rear end in the air, ready to drop the whole deal. I had no problems prying on the thing or using air impact tools to get the bolts out.

I did add the other set of stands back in, further up the rocker panels on the sides, just for safety factor. But no issues at all so far. Should be back on the ground tomorrow.

I used Welt bushings for everything except the trailing arms, for those I am using Delrin. I applied liberal quantities of lithium grease when assembling them. But my car is for track use so... I could care less about squeaks.

Quick Reply: Replacing weltmeister poly inner and Racer's Edge Derlin outer torsion bar bushings