Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iceshark Battery Cable Specs

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 10:52 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Iceshark Battery Cable Specs

Due to the inherent NLA nature of these battery cable kits, I would like to post detailed specs on these cables to help preserve their dimensions.

Positive w/ supplementary fuse box run:

Battery Terminal: "Q-C" brand, part # A52425(1)
Battery -> Starter: 75" 1GA "Anchor" brand welding cable (600v +105*C/-55*C). Unfused. Fiberglass insulation.
Battery -> Fuse Box: 62" 2GA? "Anchor" brand welding cable (600v +105*C/-55*C). Inline 150A fuse, Fiberglass insulation. Contains 1 rubber grommet for nessesary hole in side of fuse box.

Negative w/ supplementary bell housing ground:

Battery Terminal: "Q-C" brand, part # A52425(2)
Battery -> Chassis: 12" 1GA "Anchor" brand welding cable (600v +105*C/-55*C). Unfused. No Fiberglass Insulation.
Battery -> Bell Housing: 33" 1GA "Anchor" brand welding cable (600v +105*C/-55*C). Unfused. No Fiberglass Insulation.
Attached Images  
Old 03-20-2008, 11:05 PM
TRDRacer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats about instalation instructions for them?
Old 03-20-2008, 11:15 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The terminals are also called Mil-spec battery terminals and are available at Napa for about 5 bucks each.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:09 AM
944CS
Drifting

you are missing the starter to alternator cable and the front left supplemental ground
Old 03-21-2008, 12:17 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 944CS
you are missing the starter to alternator cable and the front left supplemental ground
Those are installed on my car, so I can't take the measurements quite as easily. These cables I just happened to have sitting in the living room as I'm shipping them out tomorrow, and wanted to make specs available before I send them out.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:46 AM
944CS
Drifting

they are both 2 gauge
Old 03-21-2008, 12:52 AM
Cass944
Drifting

any idea on where i can buy some of that cable? can i find it at a retailer or online or something?

I would like to rewire all my main battery leads while i have my engine removed.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:15 AM
Lizard944
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cass944
any idea on where i can buy some of that cable? can i find it at a retailer or online or something?

I would like to rewire all my main battery leads while i have my engine removed.
I thought IceShark used #1G Excelene Copperfield welding cable? Don't tell me I screwed that up I made a set of ground cables using photos from thread labeled "IceShark battery cable kit pics please," as a guide. Turned out real nice! Going to make a set for the Explorer. Here's my suppliers:

Excelene welding cable #1G www.weldingdepot.com

'Fusion'-brand pre-soldered lugs, Military battery clamps, & shrink tubing; www.solarseller.com I think Arnworx (sp?) also sells cable-end kits, minus the cable. I also found some surprisingly nice shrink tubing at Harbor Freight Tools. Was on sale for $2.99 for five different sizes.

--Lizard
Old 03-21-2008, 04:56 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

IceShark battery cables are still available- I've got a bunch finished from his remaining inventory & will start selling them again next week. They were made from Excelene 1awg & 4awg cable, as were the headlight harnesses, 11 of which, will hopefully be available soon.

I'll ressurect my thread & update inventory & prices next week- had to buy more fuses to finish- almost $30/ea + S&H- the cable is heavy & pricey, the ExFlex is expensive & so are the lugs he used, etc... Lots of little misc pieces in the hardware he included, which I'm also included.

I can't reorder more this stuff & still have approval to sell on this list, as John gave me permission to sell the "remaining" inventory & I wont violate that trust. BUT, I DID have to buy a few misc items to finish up the rest of the stock, like the fuses- needed 2 per positive kit & I wanted exactly what Dan had- Dan got these for free, until just before the end, which is why he dramatically raised his prices. So, the kits are pricey, but then I've seen ground kits alone, for other cars, approaching $200- the ground kits for our cars are $55 or $60- I paid $215 for a good crimper ($500 retail) to make (US-whatever) certified crimps(?), as well as good cable cutters (that wont squish the cable) to finish all this up w/Dan's quality. The entire kit is ~$300 (I give a slight price break on the entire kit & include the misc stuff, like Dan, so one doesn't have to drive everywhere for it)- lots of detail, too much for now b/c I'm tired & just getting over being really sick. Anyway, I'll get started next week & post what's left w/prices, etc- you can PM now if interested or look for the thread- there are a few people who have been asking me for a few months now, so I'm trying to put them first b/c I've been away awhile- had a BAD few months, but now I'm back...

IF you do order this stuff yourself, keep in mind, that the larger gauge cable is much tougher to work with. Soldering alone, is not a good idea b/c it will melt in the event of a surge, which is one of the reasons for the fuses- Dan started all this b/c of many 944 engine fires. The ExFlex that he used is tough to find & usually at least $2/ft in bulk & the real Bentley Harris stuff is good to 1200' F. The prices, online, are all over the place, but the good ones usually expect some sort of bulk deal- I had to buy 20 of the fuses to get them for much under $600, so it adds up real quick. I've seen some of the lugs he used go for almost $3/ea- you'll use at least 7 of these per full kit. Not that you have to have that type, but at least get a good one.

For a full kit, you'll need ~10 ft of 1awg cable ~12ft of 4awg cable (Excelene like Lizard said), 14 total lugs of varying size, ~18ft of 5/8" ExFlex (try pricing this- most places wont even stock this, so you'll wait ~6wks for it), ~1.5ft of adhesive-backed heat shrink, the military spec battery terminals, the expensive, hard-to-find fuses, & that's not even including the misc stuff that comes w/it all: two 1.25" cushioned cable clamps, small tube of dielectric grease, 2" long hex bolt/nut/washer (Dan sent 2.5" & these were too long btw), sanding sponge, twenty ~8" cable ties, four 7" chassis cable ties, 3.5" split tubing, red rubber + boot, & I'm probably forgetting something...
Old 03-21-2008, 11:10 AM
elf89
Pro

A gentleman named Andre wrote some detailed installation instructions for his turbo. He let me put them on my website.

Iceshark Battery Cable Writeup

We did it in an afternoon on my NA, but I had lots of help from Damian, Brett and some other guys. They made it look easy. I think the hardest part was having small enough hands to get to the grounds on the bell housing. Cheers,

Eric
Old 03-21-2008, 11:42 AM
Cass944
Drifting

Originally Posted by elf89
A gentleman named Andre wrote some detailed installation instructions for his turbo. He let me put them on my website.

Iceshark Battery Cable Writeup

We did it in an afternoon on my NA, but I had lots of help from Damian, Brett and some other guys. They made it look easy. I think the hardest part was having small enough hands to get to the grounds on the bell housing. Cheers,

Eric
i remember that day... that was a good time.

i remember the hard part being when we had to get the new wires attached to the starter. they didnt want to bend very much.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:24 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Lizard- not sure if I mentioned this before or not, but yes, you are right- Dan used 1awg & 4awg Excelene. Also, I'd be happy to mention all the places I've looked for this stuff, but by the time one adds it up & then does the work, it's about as easy to just pay the extra & have them already done, unless you're good at stuff like that, have the equipment (like large gauge crimpers) & just like that kind of stuff, which I totally understand... It is true, though- it's not rocket science. I'd say the install is as tough as making them to begin with, but again, that's assuming you have large gauge crimpers, etc...

Eric- Andre's instructions are awesome! I'm trying to reformat them to Word, so I can reduce the # of pages, so I can print some of them up. As they are in Acrobat, they're like 24 pages. They are the best I've seen, though & I'm leaving his name on them to give him credit, if I do get them reformatted. It's taking me forever... I do also have another set that someone did that has a few pics & is really good, although not quite as detailed...
Old 03-22-2008, 01:27 AM
Lizard944
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Robby...Yeah, between scouring the internet for parts, and ending up with a lot of extra cable, 'cause I couldn't find anyplace that sold the Excelene in less than 25ft sections, I'd say it would've been more cost effective to buy them from someone else who was motivated to make these in bulk, such as your operation. I just made the ground and the redundant ground, and although not difficult, I probably wouldn't want to do this stuff for a living
I didn't see anyone on here selling them at the moment, and the dealership wanted $175.00 for the ground cable alone!..so I went for it and made it myself, if nothing more than for the experience of saying "I did it." Now I'm making grounds for my Explorer, lawnmower, stopping people on the streets, redundant grounds for redundant grounds,etc., with all of the extra cable...lol ! I liked the Magna Lug 'Fusion' pre-soldered lug ends. Went on easily and had great strength, but I can see your point about melting in a dead short condition. But then again, I think you'd have bigger worries than your lugs coming off if that happened! I only made the grounds so I don't think they would be affected in a short?? If Dan made his by 'crimp' method, then I trust that that is the best way.
Put me down as "interested" in a headlight harness when you get the ball rolling. I don't think I'd have the patience to piece one of those together Would be a neat thought to have a little of the "IceShark"
spirit in the vehicle
Old 03-22-2008, 02:34 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Lizard- yes, I feel your pain, belive me!!! I had no idea what I was getting into & while it's not THAT difficult, it's just a bit out of my normal element... How much of the Excelene do you have left & in what sizes? I might be willing to take some off of your hands if it would help you. I'd need to wait a week or so & see where I end up- the thing is, it's tough to know exactly where the bits & pieces will end up & I'm trying to hit it just right, so that when I'm done w/some, I'm done w/all. It probably wont happen that way, but if it comes close, I'll be happy. Yes, I knew the dealer prices were insane... Some of the stuff feels like Dan did soldering & others stuff I believe he crimped. The main thing that I learned from another RLer is that he bolted the fuses at one end on one cable & both ends on the other, to avoid solder, etc- he crimped lugs to the ends & then bolted them in. Kind of strange to me, but evidently, it had to do w/the heat. I've learned a lot about this stuff, but still, am by no means, any kind of expert... And as for your grounds- no, I don't think they would be affected in a short. I'll have to look closely at my model, but I beleieve Dan crimped the lugs to the ends, but he didn't even use ExFlex on the grounds, so I don't think he was too worried about them. This is why they're so much cheaper too & ion all honesty, I don't think you'd have to worry much about them pulling the lugs off b/c there's shouldn't be any tension on them anyway.

Another thing you can do w/the extra cable- did you make any supplemental grounds, like the one he sold w/the headlight kit? that was ~2ft section. Cover w/ExFlex- I could sell you enough of that to cover it. Also, I made a really short engine block ground out of a mistake, when learning to use to the crimper. It's ~6" long. You can find all kinds of places to put grounds in these cars- really don't need too many, but they really could use an extra or two. You did do the two cables for the regular battery cable ground, just like factory, right? What kind of battery terminal clamp did you get? I have more of the military spec ones Dan used & would sell them for $5/ea if you need. They can be tough to find w/out ordering bulk too....

I'll keep you in mind for the headlight harness for sure. Check my thread this sunday or Monday- the "Remaining IceShark Inventory" one- subscribe to it & I'll update when I'm ready on those... Or just PM me every now & then- hopefully will have something in month or so...
Old 03-22-2008, 07:15 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd be interested in a set of those ICESHARK battery cabels when you're ready to sell...can you save me a set please?

Quick Reply: Iceshark Battery Cable Specs