Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

allright guys, more help wanted

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 08:31 PM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default allright guys, more help wanted

so I got the new tires put on today; pretty good; but, there is still this noise, similar to a worn out tire; I'm guessing that maybe one of the ball bearings is bad somewhere;
the steering wheel and that slight knocking sound when turning it lightly is still there; so I'm wondering whether my tie rods, control arms, or ball joints are worn out?

so what would be the best solution?

I was thinking of ordering new control arms and ball joints, and seeing if that fixes it, but I'm in need of help/direction

maybe there is someone local who could take a listen? I don't really trust shops to do the work, but if there is someone trustworthy, I'm all ears

the car runs and drives fine, but there is definetly noise coming from somewhere in the rear, and that knocking is in the front; the knocking becomes more noticible when going over a nice sized bump
Old 03-20-2008, 08:39 PM
Chwatson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what year is the car? control arms can be awfully expensive for the later cars...
Old 03-20-2008, 08:54 PM
roman944
Drifting

oh I got lucky, and I appologize, its a 1983

the noise it makes sounds like a metal ball rolling on the hard wood floor ; I'm pretty sure in other cars I've had it was a ball join problem; but in other cars I've also changed the control arms at the same time as ball joints

just trying to get some pointers, it might be worth getting new bearings/hubs, ball joints, control arms, and getting it all done in one shot, no?

what's the possibility of it being a bad steering rack? this is kind of why I would like to get into a shop or another rennlister that would be able to help me out more; I'm not familiar with manual steering racks, and I wouldn't want to spend money on something that doesn't need fixing [yet]

also, thank you very much for such a quick response

I'm going to look around on Pelican; maybe someone from my car club might be able to drive the car for a few mnts and see what we come up with; the car is safe to drive, the steering is not delayed by much, but the wheel is shaking a little bit more then it should/was before and there is that weird noise coming from wheels - would rather adress the problem now then later
Old 03-20-2008, 11:13 PM
mtccl
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which tire is the knocking coming from. I assume the front if you are going down the ball joints, control arms road.

The "metal ball rolling on a hardwood floor" sounds more like a CV joint to me....or a wheel bearing. Is the sound rotational.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:38 AM
roman944
Drifting

yeah thats what it sounds like to me

in the back its a humming noise; and it got progressively louder, I just havent noticed it as much before because I didn't have really good tire in the back

so should the ball joints be replaced together on the front (both sides?) how about control arms? anything else?

and the rear bearing(s)? both sides or just do 1?

more like, should things be done in pairs, or just take care of what is broken

I'll probably try to do this with help of some friends, or at home with my bro

thx!

Quick Reply: allright guys, more help wanted