Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger window doesn't go up...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008 | 02:39 AM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Default Passenger window doesn't go up...

I was messing around with the switch the other day, trying to see if there was some way I could put little carbon fiber arrows into the face, and I lost one of the little ***** that the switch rides on. I put it back together thinking I'd just get a switch from one of my other cars. Today I got in the car and the drivers side passenger switch was very sticky, it wouldn't move- so I leaned over to use the one I messed up. The window went down in spurts, but now won't go up, even with the 1 known good switch that works (and still works on the drivers side). Clarks says the passenger window switches are run in line, and that if the fuse or relay were out, it would disable both sides (which is true, I took the relay out and the drivers side stopped).

Is it possible I messed up the window motor with my bad switch?

Is there any way to get the window up manually until I figure this out (like with the sunroof and headlights)? This could seriously hamper my plans for the car in the next week.
Old 03-19-2008 | 03:03 AM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

I checked for voltage on the terminals at position 4 & 5 and have power on the drivers side passenger switch, but not the passenger side. The known good switch still doesn't work.

How would I go about testing the window motor (other than with the switches)?
Old 03-19-2008 | 03:27 AM
zoltan944
Three Wheelin'

you can put power directly to the motor either from the wires or directly on it without the panel.
I doubt you messed it up tho. The switches are so much of a hassle sometimes, but the motors almost never fail
Old 03-19-2008 | 03:31 AM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

You have to have a switch in the drivers, and passenger side for the passenger side to work because of the series circuit. There is no way to get the pass window to move with only one good switch. If I understand correctly, that is all you have.

The reason you have power on the drivers side passenger switch is because the power goes there first.
Put the good switch in the drivers side door then test the power in the passenger side. You should get some V's.
Old 03-19-2008 | 03:31 AM
944-LT1
Racer

If the panel is off already, pull back the plastic sheathing and youll see the motor near the bootom of the door. It has a connector and harness going to it. It only has two pins. With you hood up, grab some alligator clips and put negative to the pin nearest the door skin. With another hooked to the positive battery post, touch it to the other pin. The window should immediately go up. If you want it to go down, reverse the wires.

If you dont want to take off the door panel, two wires that go to that switch on the pass. side door are blue/black and blue. These two wires go to that motor directly. Theres also two other wires that go over to the drivers side door to the pass. window switch there; they are red/white and red/black.

Apply voltage to the blue and blue/black wires by probing each wire. One gets 12v(+) and the other gets (-) ground. Reversing this makes the window go the opposite direction.
Old 03-19-2008 | 03:37 AM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Calmchaos
You have to have a switch in the drivers, and passenger side for the passenger side to work because of the series circuit.
Wow that seems obvious now!

Originally Posted by 944-LT1
If the panel is off already, pull back the plastic sheathing and youll see the motor near the bootom of the door. It has a connector and harness going to it. It only has two pins. With you hood up, grab some alligator clips and put negative to the pin nearest the door skin. With another hooked to the positive battery post, touch it to the other pin. The window should immediately go up. If you want it to go down, reverse the wires.

If you dont want to take off the door panel, two wires that go to that switch on the pass. side door are blue/black and blue. These two wires go to that motor directly. Theres also two other wires that go over to the drivers side door to the pass. window switch there; they are red/white and red/black.

Apply voltage to the blue and blue/black wires by probing each wire. One gets 12v(+) and the other gets (-) ground. Reversing this makes the window go the opposite direction.
Thanks, guys- since I have the door panels off for my front speaker install its all accessible, I should be able to nail it down with that help.

What would I do if all I had was a multimeter and no rennlist? shudder to think.
Old 03-19-2008 | 03:47 AM
944-LT1
Racer

There should be 5 pins per switch (X3). on each switch should be the letters A, B, C, D, and E.

D is power from the relay electric window control 12V (+) and is a red/black wire. You should see this wire on each switch.

E is also 12V(+) from D.

On the pass. door switch, A is blue/black. 12+ Down
On the dr. door switch for pass.window A is red/white. 12+ Up

On the pass. door switch, B is blue. 12+ Down
On the dr. doorswitch for pass.window B is red/black. 12+ Up

C on both switches is ground or brown. 12-

D + A = up
E + B = down

And thats it! Well hopefully thats it!
Old 03-19-2008 | 03:47 AM
944-LT1
Racer

Oops your were faster. Haha. Good Luck!
Old 03-19-2008 | 03:56 AM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

OK:

Because I had lost one of the little ***** (I guess that is technically a bearing, no?), there was no contact for the switch to send the window up (so no conductivity). Then I took the driver's side switch out, and there was officially no way it could get power.

I found an old rear wiper switch and snagged the ball out of there, replaced the drivers side switch after cleaning it up so it doesn't stick, up she went.

Thanks to all-
Old 03-19-2008 | 03:58 AM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

I almost expected to wake up tomorrow w/ the thread on page 2 w/ no replies- that was great response time!
Old 03-19-2008 | 04:03 AM
944-LT1
Racer

Just a little ball huh? Wow. Nicely done! I thought you were in for some good-ol-fun wiring. Oh well, maybe next time.
Old 03-19-2008 | 04:03 AM
zoltan944
Three Wheelin'

gotta love the west coast team up past midnight!
Old 03-19-2008 | 04:05 AM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zoltan944
Old 03-19-2008 | 02:43 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zoltan944

Hey hey now... don't forget the Jersey boyz.
Old 03-19-2008 | 03:35 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Calmchaos
Hey hey now... don't forget the Jersey boyz.
Fo sho

Quick Reply: Passenger window doesn't go up...