Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Contracting the radio antenna on a 924s?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 11:01 PM
sTyleR
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Question Contracting the radio antenna on a 924s?

Hello, I am a new member to the rennlist discussion forums and new to Porsche ownership. My car is a 87' 924S, as shown in my avatar. I am progressing to learn more and more about these cars, and the mechanical systems involved (not just antennas in specific). So I have looked through the owners manual, and all the controls that my car offers, but have not found one to control the contraction of the radio antenna. Since it is not meant to contract manually, then maybe a system to automatically have this done when I shut the car off is out? If there is indeed a switch on the radio itself, then I have found my problem. The radio is from a similar era Honda, which is just about the only 'aftermarket' piece on the car.

I am uncertain at this point to what exactly it may be, so any input on this subject will be greatly appreciated.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
87' 924S-Guards Red on tan
Old 03-16-2008, 11:39 PM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine goes up and down when the radio is power on and off.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:59 AM
sTyleR
Racer

Originally Posted by J Silverman
Mine goes up and down when the radio is power on and off.
I'll get this checked out sometime then. Thanks

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 03-17-2008, 04:12 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Power antennas are a cool '80s feature. I loved mine on the 83. The electric motor in yours is probably broken. Don't replace it with the Asian-made Hirschmanns sold by most vendors, eBay, etc. They're crap.

Try getting a real German-made unit from a Mercedes Benz dealer or similar. Those are the real thing!
Old 03-17-2008, 09:53 AM
Bart
Nordschleife Master

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Mine had a switch on the console near the ashtray. In addition, it was wired through the radio to extend/contract with the radio power. I guess this was so you could lower it if you were only using the cd player and not the tuner.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:29 PM
sTyleR
Racer

Mine doesn't have a switch for this in the area you are talking about. It has one for choosing which mirror to adjust and three covered switch holes next to that. I'm thinking that it must be the motor also, unless it isn't wired properly to the radio for extending and contracting in the event of turning it on or off. I have a few other little things to sort out first, but will get around to this sometime. I defiantly will get a proper German motor. Cheap fake units are useless.

Is there anywhere I can by an original radio from? I checked eBay, and they don't seem to have any at the moment.

Thank you both

Old 03-17-2008, 06:02 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sTyleR
Mine doesn't have a switch for this in the area you are talking about. It has one for choosing which mirror to adjust and three covered switch holes next to that.
The original installation had no switch for the antenna. It simply went up automatically with the ignition if the radio was switched on, and down when the ignition was turned off.

For a used Blaupunkt radio, keep checking eBay or call Ian at 944online.com. Used original cassette decks are worthless to most people but inexpensive treasures to someone restoring a car, like you.

Quick Reply: Contracting the radio antenna on a 924s?