Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gurgling Fuel Tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 11:12 PM
cylan
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gurgling Fuel Tank

This is a new one, and searching the forum didn't help me in finding if anyone else has ever experienced this...

I've got a 1987 S, and whenever I shut the car off I hear a gurgle coming from the back, right around where the gas tank is. It sounds a bit like the sound a full bottle of water makes when you turn it completely upside down to empty it. This sound manifested itself for the first time on Tuesday.

Now, I've also been starting to experience really lousy fuel economy (on the order of 10+mpg less than average). Also, the car doesn't like to start (cranks for a while before chugging to a start) after it has been sitting for a while, e.g. overnight, but starts like normal after having been driven recently. Reports on the forum seem to indicate that this issue is related to a fuel pressure problem.

I've checked my vacuum lines, and as best as I can tell they're all connected and I don't hear the sound of an escaping vacuum when I shut the engine off. I replaced the fuel filter back in December, but the car has started up (and sounded) fine until now.

My guess is the fuel pressure regulator has failed. I'd like to hear if there are any other ideas for things to check though before I go and try a shotgun replacement of a $90 part. Thoughts, anyone?
Old 03-10-2008, 03:15 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Before replacing anything, I would recommend getting the fuel tank out of the car and giving it a good cleaning. The tank in my 83 developed an annoying "drone" sound that was eliminated after cleaning it.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:19 PM
mtccl
Instructor

Go back to your fuel filter replacement and make sure everything is correct. Sounds like this "induced" your problem. Could be a bad fuel filter (unlikely, but it happens). Did you install it in the correct flow direction? Check your fuel lines to make sure nothing got kinked, etc.

Next I would check the fuel pump. Does sound like a pump issue if all the other checks out OK.

I just replaced filter and all rubber lines and pulled a cleaned the pump due to a leaking line. Make sure you can catch the fuel in the tank if you pull the pump feed line or be ready to plug the tank.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:25 PM
cylan
Track Day

Well, I've gone and checked over the fuel lines. No leakages: every coupling I can see without taking the gas tank off (including the connections where the fuel level sender is, in the hatch area and on the connections directly to the fuel pump) was bone dry, and there were no signs of a persistent leak (i.e. the dust and dirt looked all undisturbed).

A couple more observations that I've made - when I opened the gas cap, there was a release of pressure from the filler opening. This was after the car had been driven, not sitting.

Also, as I have been checking the fuel lines and evaporative system hoses, I pulled off the vacuum valve (part #15 in this diagram). When I did, a whole lot of dirty-looking gasoline came out of the port on the valve & fabric-braided hoses which lead to the carbon canister. I'm guessing that this isn't supposed to happen... Could I possibly have a clogged carbon canister?
Old 03-17-2008, 09:24 PM
mtccl
Instructor

Can you hear the fuel pump priming when you turn the ignition switch to on before starting??
Old 03-18-2008, 12:02 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the fuel pump doesnt turn on untill the engine is spinning.
so you wont hear it running.

as far as gas coming out of the hose that goes to the canister (is that right?)
well....thats NOT right...

just junk the whole system! mmm weight savings.
prolly wont fix the gurgling though...
Old 03-20-2008, 01:08 AM
cylan
Track Day

Well, I don't hear the fuel pump priming when the key is turned to the 'run' position, however this is nothing new for the car. I'll take Campeck's word for it that you aren't supposed to hear it as it doen't spin until the car is running.

Talk about quirks though, the gurgling sound has gone away (for the time being anyway), and so has the slow start issue

Regardless, I'm going to be replacing the vacuum lines this weekend, as I am not positive that all of the lines are hooked up correctly (I blame this on lots of PO mismanagement in repair). I'll update when I see how it goes.

Quick Reply: Gurgling Fuel Tank