Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can A Stock 951 be Competitive in XCross?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 11:33 PM
Musche
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

As stated, competitive or not, (and a 944T is not the best autox car by a longshot) just go do it. You will learn alot about the limits of your car, brakes, understeer, momentum driving, etc. in a safe environment. Our local autoX is run at an airport taxiway and speeds can reach 70 mph on the straights usually followed by a dogleg kink that will test you to see just how much speed you can carry without spinning. It is a valuable learning tool if you want to move to DE someday.

Last edited by Musche; 01-07-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:53 PM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Musche - what kind of mods are you running? I have an 86 951 with a few mods and am wanting to do some DE & AX events locally. I'm a little concerned with the way my new turbo REALLY kicks in at about 4K. What handling characteristics are you finding you need to be aware of? How do you compensate for the turbo lag etc.. I can imagine accelerating out of a turn reaching 4K, boost coming on and watching my rear end come around me. Not fun.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:16 AM
michel944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Musche, will you be at the Devens National Tour in june ? I'll be there, I'm already registered.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:00 AM
Musche
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Michel: No sorry I won't be there. I already have three events planned that month, June Historics at Cumberland Airport on the long course, Summit Point Hyperfest, and Watkins Glen.

Fluid: Mods include reworked Koni double sdjustables with 400lb Hypercoils, 968 M030 sways F&R, double adjustable coilovers on rear, 9"Clubsports on all four corners with Hoosier A6 for autoX and R6 for track, B&B exhaust w/cat delete, Chips, billet BOV, Lindsey boost enhancer, on a stock configured motor. I plan on building a stronger engine this year as funds are able to be diverted ( have kid in pharmacy school, read that $$$$$ it costs me).

Getting these turbo cars to be well balanced is kind of voodoo. When I first bought the car it understeered terribly with street tires on autoX courses for probably several reasons;skinnier tire, LSD pushing straight, body roll, etc. As I've tweaked and tuned over the last couple of years, the car is much better. As stated above most courses require only second gear with an occasional downshift to first. With positions in class being determined by tenths or hundreths of seconds, the time it takes to shift may not be worth it. One of the things I learned early is to try and downshift while in the end of the braking zone if you have a straight following and don't let out the clutch until you are ready to accelerate. If you let it out too soon it's throwing out the anchor and will upset the car balance. Depending on the course layout sometimes it's better to feather the throttle in a higher gear and trailbraking can be your friend. There is just too many variables to go into here. Make sure to have a good instructor give you tips on how to carry speed appropriately. Keep those eyes UP!!!

Quick Reply: Can A Stock 951 be Competitive in XCross?