Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Milkshake

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 11:24 AM
84_944guy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Milkshake

Ok the car was acting slow so I pulled over and messed around and saw this. This was after a long drive there is milkshake in the oil fill tube, but when I drained my oil it looked clean is this because the milkshake floats on the oil and does not drain out? So my plane is to take the head off and check things out, then use a straight edge to make sure its within spec and replace the gasket if it is. So my question is what if its not in spec I know you can get the head machined but what about the block.
Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2008, 11:29 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I've heard of frothy oil being inside the AOS. Not sure how but Someone here was worried because they had the same thing. Some more knowledgeable people chimed in and explained what was happening. I don't think you have "milkshake" tho.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:34 AM
Stien
Burning Brakes

...brings all the mechanincs to the yard...

Sorry, had to.

But seriously, if you had coolant in your oil, wouldn't it still come out after the oil, even if it floated on top of it?
Old 03-05-2008, 11:50 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is very normal to see cream or light brown colored sludge in the AOS. Wipe it out and carry on. If you had a milkshake problem ALL of your oil would be that color and it would be over-filled (because your cooling system would be emptying into the oil).

Also, this may save you some trouble in the future, the most common cause of the milkshake is bad oil cooler seals and not a bad head gasket.
To answer your questions, it is very rare that you will see the entire block warped, but if it happens you're proly better off finding a good used block since you will very likely also have cylinder issues.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:03 PM
84_944guy
Instructor

Are you sure iv never seen this is the oil fill thing before. The car was also overheating as we were pulling into my driveway. I mean I just wont to be sure before I put 60 dollars worth of oil and radiator fluid in it just to have it be bad and it breaks.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 193 Posts

Are you sure iv never seen this is the oil fill thing before
No one could be 100% sure based on one small pic, and a short description. Some moisture is normal in there for sure. I would think if you were having big problems that you definitely would have seen something come out when you changed the oil.

You need to do some additional testing before you go popping the head off. $60 is cheap compared to the cost of having your head checked / machined, plus the cost of the gasket set, and most likely a timing belt while you're in there. And that doesn't even factor your time in.

If it was my car and it stayed in a reasonably warm garage, I would put straight water in the radiator and some regular valvoline oil (cheap)... then figure out whats going on. Honestly your best bet is a leak down test at this point. Possibly a local lister has the tester and can lend a hand.

Quick Reply: My Milkshake