Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clatter at start and idle.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 06:24 PM
sp4149
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clatter at start and idle.

Our 1995 968 Cabriolet has developed a loud clatter at starting, that gets quieter as the engine warms up, disappears above 1500 rpm, returns when stopped. The car has the Tiptronic with 86,000 miles. I feel an occasional slight lurch when letting up on the throttle when driving (sort of like a locking automatic transmission locking and unlocking). I had loose heat shields around the catalytic converter that rattled badly, but with these secured the clatter continues. I haven't found any other heat shields which might be rattling. The noise is coming from under the car, under the doors and under the front end and still fairly loud from the rear. The car struggles a little on a cold start, but runs and accelerates smoothly after warming up for 60 seconds. This has probably been slowly developing over many months. The car has vibrated when at idle in Drive, much less vibration when in park of neutral. At times it was so bad that I would shift into Neutral when stopped at lights. From other posts it seemed that was not uncommon with the Tiptronic; at the time I was thinking bad motor mounts.
Now I'm thinking the problem is a torn, damaged damper plate at the rear of the engine. Around $2200 to replace ($1100 labor) at my local shop. I inspected under the car and did not find any rubber debris in the viewing port next to the starter. I looked in and did not see any cracks in the rubber and the rubber felt smooth to the touch. I did not remove the starter to look in the port covered by the starter. With my luck I was probably looking at the one section of the damper without cracks. Looks like a real pain to get to without a lift, or a pit, to aid in dropping the exhaust and drive train.
Any suggestions to confirm the diagnosis before spending the bucks, or selling the car? The gate guards really don't like the sound of an approaching tracked vehicle.
-sp4149
Old 02-11-2008, 07:02 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try posting on 968forums

Sounds like you may several problems.

Does your clatter sound like it may be the lifters?
When cold they sometimes clatter and quite down as the oil comes up to temp.

Those damper plates can found for under $900.

Also check your motor mounts, there is a spec to measure for the height.

When is the last time the belts were done?
You may have jumped a tooth on the balance shaft belt.

Quick Reply: Clatter at start and idle.