Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change your bad shocks now?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 12:21 AM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be glad you bought Koni's. I like mine.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:36 AM
brad-cam
Burning Brakes

Arash, the new Konis are worth every penny so don't worry about that. I too would be very surprised if the shocks had anything to do with your detonated bearing though...
Old 02-12-2008, 01:56 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks Brad.

It's easy appreciating Konis when they're already on but it was hard laying down the green to get them in the first place. I can't wait to get them on but it will be a while until I can have a weekend at home with my tools.

Jason you gotta let me drive your car so I can feel what a 968 with Konis feels like. That's funny how your car has 968 struts, springs, sway bars, and konis. It's got a better or equal suspension to mine! And we also have to get these 2 tranny mounts I've been saving installed on your car.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:01 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944CS
so the stub axle bended, huh?
Old 02-12-2008, 02:24 AM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

Yes, definitely. Feel free to drive it anytime! I'll be around all weekend so i'll definitely drop by.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:19 AM
bader$
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
So I just bought Konis for nothing. Fantastic.
Are you sure? I don't mean to question your knowledge but I'd like to know if this is really true. It does make sense.

I do think firmer suspension would give the stub axles & spindles are harder time.

I think the best way to check for broken stub axles is either watch the wheel for wobble as it drives along, or check the wheel bearing for damage. If it's new and it's broken, the stub axle is more than likely bent.
I have never in my 25 years as a mechanic replaced a wheel bearing because of a bad shock. It might cause it if the shock were locked up and wouldn't flex at all. Bearings are usually damaged due to impact (hit a pot hole or curb), poor lubrication or improper preload (read too loose or too tight.). But in your case the fact that the shocks did not rebound correctly proves you needed them any way.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:39 PM
Mamooguy
Three Wheelin'

Crap ... I've noticed a slight bumping rhythm from my car, as though it's driving across slight seams in the road (but I'm pretty sure it isn't). New shocks are in the mail as I speak, but should I worry about blown bearings or CV joints?
Old 02-12-2008, 03:12 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hmm.... OK so maybe I should change the title of the thread to "change your shocks if you want to but it won't help your wheel bearings much".

Then that means the stub axle got bent from just potholes. Damn San Francisco. I have never seen a city with worse roads, it is appalling.

Mamooguy, explain the problem/sound a little more. Bad CVs will click and clank like mad. Bad wheel bearings will thump and wump. Try a few tests, like feeling the wheel for excess heat (stuck brake), try pulling the e-brake slightly while driving (see if the sound changes), try pushing/pulling on the wheel (check for bearing play), try looking at the CV boots for tears.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:03 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Hmm.... OK so maybe I should change the title of the thread to "change your shocks if you want to but it won't help your wheel bearings much".

Then that means the stub axle got bent from just potholes. Damn San Francisco. I have never seen a city with worse roads, it is appalling.

Mamooguy, explain the problem/sound a little more. Bad CVs will click and clank like mad. Bad wheel bearings will thump and wump. Try a few tests, like feeling the wheel for excess heat (stuck brake), try pulling the e-brake slightly while driving (see if the sound changes), try pushing/pulling on the wheel (check for bearing play), try looking at the CV boots for tears.
Actually… bad wheel bearings hum and the hum is speed sensitive. Your bearings were not bad, they were BROKEN apart and that’s why it thumped. I’ve never seen a wheel bearing break like this. Maybe the bearing had a manufacturing defect
Old 02-12-2008, 04:40 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Good to know - thank you! I think mine broke because the axle was beNT. It probably put too much stress, and probably had an effect like a jackhammer as it wobbled. It could also have been defective, or like others have said it could have been improper nut torque, but my bet's on the bad axle.

Quick Reply: Change your bad shocks now?