Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission removal troubles

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008 | 03:53 PM
v-tach
Burning Brakes

Default transmission removal troubles

hey guys

i thought u could help. well i had most of the transmission out but the front of the tranny was gettin caught up. i looked to see what was holding the front of the tranny from coming out -- i think i did not get the shift rod far forward enough. so i half way bolted the tranny back up to figure this out ..

so my question is

1 ---- from inside the car i disconnected the shift lever ..how far forward do i have to move the shift rod ? does it come into the car toward the dash or does it get pushed down ?

2 - the black plastic tube that surrounds the shift rod in the tranny - -do i have to move it toward the front of the car or slide toward the rear of the car ?

hopefully i did not damage the shift rod..

thanks
v-tach
1988 924s spec to be !
Old 02-09-2008 | 03:55 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

you have to move that rod way forward, it can be a pain with the foam in there. As for the plastic tub, try pushing it back if I recall correctly.
Old 02-09-2008 | 05:04 PM
jstand22
Pro

When you disconnect the shift rod from inside the car, rotate it 180 degrees, so it's upside down, then push it as far foward as it will go (I think it goes a foot or so, pretty far). As far as the black plastic linkage cover, I pulled it out backwards with the transmission...be very careful with it.
Old 02-09-2008 | 07:56 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

You'll also have to yank out the shift lever. Because when you go to pull the torque tube back, the lever is gonna get hung up.

I ALWAYS forget, and I'm down there wrestling with the TT trying to get it to slide back. I keep pushing and pushing, eventually I try a heave-ho thing, and I hear a POP and suddenly the TT is free to slide..... and later on I see the shift lever has popped off and is sitting on the driver's seat. D'oh.
Old 02-09-2008 | 08:18 PM
Kyle Donley
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
You'll also have to yank out the shift lever. Because when you go to pull the torque tube back, the lever is gonna get hung up.

I ALWAYS forget, and I'm down there wrestling with the TT trying to get it to slide back. I keep pushing and pushing, eventually I try a heave-ho thing, and I hear a POP and suddenly the TT is free to slide..... and later on I see the shift lever has popped off and is sitting on the driver's seat. D'oh.
I think he's only removing the Transmission, not the torque tube. If he were doing a clutch job and having to slide the torque tube back then you are right on.
Old 02-09-2008 | 08:45 PM
v-tach
Burning Brakes

got it !
thanks guys ... i had to get the shift rod more forward and yes it gets caught up by foam. the plastic tube i pulled towards the rear and came down with the tranny.. overall not a bad job..have to be careful to balance the tranny on your jack...postion the jack a little more on the rear flat part of the tranny to get it to balance nicely...
thanks again
v-tach
Old 02-09-2008 | 09:16 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Oh, duh, I read "transmission" and automatically though "clutch". Thanks for the correction.

Quick Reply: transmission removal troubles