Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electrical headlight issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 07:06 AM
cokeloop
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical headlight issues

After a friend of mine had problems with his lights going up but not coming down, he tried his light-switch in my car, resulting in my lights dying.

They flip up and down just fine, the brights work, but not the normal non-brights. So i either drive around with brights on or nothing at all.. Has anyone ever experianced simular problems? We checked both the fuses, tried different relays and lightswitches, but nothing gets my lights back on.

At the front near my lights there are 3 wires, a brown, a yellow and a white one. The brown is for the brights, they yellow for the normal lights and the white is ground, as far as we know. It turns out that the yellow wire suddenly is ground too, instead of +12v like it should be? Can anyone confirm this?

Need to get this fixed, people are flashing me all day long

ps. the car is a 83' 944 n/a

Robert
Old 02-05-2008, 09:56 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just went through this. You most likely have cracked wires inside the headlight wiring harness on the driver side headlight, right where it attaches to the bucket frame with a factory wire tie.

You need to cut open the harness and splice the wires in such a way that they don't short out and blow your low beam fuses.

Check it out and report how you fixed it because mine worked for a couple of weeks and now I'm going to have to do it again because the driver side light is acting up again.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:41 AM
cokeloop
Advanced

Ill check it out tomorrow i guess, not too much time today... But would a problem with one knock out both low beams?
Old 02-05-2008, 02:33 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cokeloop
Ill check it out tomorrow i guess, not too much time today... But would a problem with one knock out both low beams?
Yes, you're having the exact same symptoms that I had. It happens on both sides because all 3 wires (high beam, low beam and ground) are cracked and are shorting out the low beam fuses.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:35 PM
jpk
Burning Brakes

Just for future refrence - brown is always a ground on these cars, never a source.

Quick Reply: electrical headlight issues