Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to cut fuel hard lines?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 01:53 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to cut fuel hard lines?

I was doing some work on my car last night and I put my nose up against the engine fuel line going to the fuel pressure damper and I can smell the faint smell of gasoline, not much but it still worries me.

I'm thining of replacing all three fuel lines with the rennbay ones within the next month (getting fire insurance tomorrow lol).

my porsche shop (weissach in van) told me 600 dollars in labour to replace the fuel lines so I kind of want to do them myself now.

how hard is this job and how many hours should it take an inexperience person like me?

I only have one day a week off from school or work so I have to finish it and get the car running within a day.

also how hard is it to replace the fuel injector seals?

I'm worried that I can screw something up and have a fuel line blow off or leak later on and cause a fire.

for example I have no experience replacign fuel lines and I don't know how tight is tight enough to tighten the clamps or the connectiosn.

main thing I'm worried about right now is how to cut those fuel lines, what tool would I have to buy to cut them?

and is it dangerous? don't want to cause a spark and cause a fire.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:19 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

You can use a tubing cutter to cut the lines. They sell them at hardware stores and auto parts stores. Usually the hardware store one will be cheaper.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:22 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Yep, these deteriorate over time but they are not too hard to replace. Need a small pipe cutter like this:

Care is needed taking the connections of the fuel rail/damper/regulator, they are on tight and the fuel rail has a tendancy to bend.

I used the pauer lines, cutting the old lines was easy with the cutter. Cut them in the wheel well and try to cut them so the new line fittings are staggered (not touching).

Do the job with a near empty fuel tank and depresurize the fuel system first. Have a lot of rags handy as you will have some fuel spillage. The whole job should take you no more than an hour or two.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:41 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

really an hour or two?

wonder why my porsche shop quoted me about 600 dollars labour to replace them......

not sure what you mean by the new lines not touching.

from teh pics I have seen of other peoples install you just cut the hard lines down into the fender then you slip the new soft lines on top fo them and just clamp them down. I'm paranoid so I'd use two clamps on each one.

do the hard lines deform easily ? like if I clamp it down too tight can I deform the lines and cause a leak?

I'm kind of nervous about clamping on high pressure fuel lines, worried they can blow off.

yes I'm worried about being able to take to take the connection off.

when I replaced my fuel filter it was on crazy tight, I had to use my full strench and I think even a wrench and a mallet to get it to break loose.

obviously that would damage the fuel rail so what would you have to do to get them to break loose more easily?

also what is the method of loosening those connections? are you suppose to hold that big connection in the front and loosen the nut behind it?
Old 01-31-2008, 02:44 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

staggered, as in not right next to each other:

Old 01-31-2008, 02:49 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

ok so you mean don't cut them the same length? that looks safer than the rennbay ones....

the rennbay ones look like you just slip the fuel line on that hard line and clamp it on? is that safe?
Old 01-31-2008, 02:53 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

How much are those pauer lines?
Old 01-31-2008, 03:11 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Yummybud924
ok so you mean don't cut them the same length? that looks safer than the rennbay ones....

the rennbay ones look like you just slip the fuel line on that hard line and clamp it on? is that safe?
Any new line you fit will be thicker than the old ones as you have a connector/clamp to deal with. Just stagger the clamp so they do not touch. You want the clamps to be in the fender, not partially in the engine bay as stock. That way if they do begin to leak they won't squirt fuel over you hot exhast.

The hardpipes will not deform when you clamp, the seal in the clamp might, so not too tight. The Pauer lines came with good instructions on fitting + great phone support.

Originally Posted by Mike Markota
How much are those pauer lines?
Pauer Fuel Lines
Old 01-31-2008, 03:15 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

really an hour or two?

wonder why my porsche shop quoted me about 600 dollars labour to replace them......
Because to replace with stock items takes a lot more time and more parts. The hard lines go right back to the fuel tank and the stock flexible lines that attach to them are crimped on, so you have to replace the whole assembly.

Aftermarket is a much better option in this case and there are a few companies making very good product.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:17 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

I just noticed one of my fuel injectotrs is also missing a clip..... not good.

so I should just go to the hardware store and ask for a small metal pipe cutter?

is there any chance it can cause a spark and set the fuel on fire when I'm cutting it?
Old 01-31-2008, 03:21 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

I just noticed one of my fuel injectotrs is also missing a clip..... not good.
I did not fit the clips on mine when I replaced them, had no ill effect, I really can't see what they were there for in the first place, can anyone clarify?
Old 01-31-2008, 03:27 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

well the guy at the shop told me the lines have to be flared? not sure what that means. I told him I'm getting aftermarket lines.

if they only charged 2-300 bucks in labour I'd let them do it as I don't wan to screw it up and burn down the house or set myself on fire lol.

I'll do this outside and keep a fire extinguisher closeby just incase.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:23 PM
Wallace
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would these Pauer lines work with an S2?
The fuel damper on an S2 is in a different spot.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:46 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Seriously it is sooooo easy. I would puke if I paid $300 to have that job done.

I've done it twice now... blue rennbay lines on the track car, SS braided Lindsey lines and a new stock jumper line on the turbo. As other said it is maybe a two hour job... if you like to drink beer while working. The advantage of the Lindsey ones is that they come with compression ends for the hard lines as opposed to the hose clamps for the rennbay ones. That said, the rennbay ones have performed great with no leaks on the track car, with no flares on the hard lines, just two hose clamps on each. On the 951 I wanted the pressure fittings as I will be running an uprated fuel pump and FPR for the bigger turbo and injectors. The pressure fittings could be purchased separately and then installed with the rennbay lines if one was so inclined. I may update the track car to that config in the future.

A bunch of pics from my track car job HERE.

Good luck.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:56 PM
JayVee
Rennlist Member

I installed the blue Rennbay hoses without cutting the hard lines, thus preserving the flare on the end of the hard lines. When I got my car it already had aftermarket replacement hoses so I don't know the details of removing the stock rubber hoses. (Just cut them off, I assume.) It was hard to slide the smaller hose over the hard line flare and the fuel pressure regulator flare so I used a little automatic transmission fluid as a lube.

Quick Reply: How to cut fuel hard lines?