Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter Noise after Headgasket Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 07:37 PM
DallasTexas
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifter Noise after Headgasket Install

I need some help with this topic. First for the basics. This is for an '87 944 NA with 230K miles on it. I needed to replace the head gasket so I did other things while I was there. Replaced the timing and ballance belts plus all gaskets. When I had the Cam Tower off, I was careful to keep the lifters in the same order and placed them back into the same holes. I was careful in lining up the timing belt with TDC and the Cam gear. I also set the tension with a tool to be sure this is corret. I am using 20W50 oil. All bolts were tighened to the proper torque.

Here is the issue. The car started and ran well. However, the lifters seem to be making quite a racket - one in particular. At least that is what I believe the noise is. I shut down the car to seek your help.

Here are my questions.

1. How long should I expect the lifters to be noisy? I knew that as oil pressure to build up there would be noise. I did not expect this much. I did use assebmly lube to keep the lifters in place as I installed the cam tower, but I did not keep them in oil while they were out of the car.

2. Will being off by even one tooth cause this racket. I was careful, but could this be my culprit?

3. Should I just run it until the oil gets heated and fully coats the lifters to see if this will go away?

4. Anything else that I should check.

Thanks for all of your help. I searched the forum to see if there was a string to help - which did help some. I am just worried that I have done something wrong and don't want to risk huring the car too much.

Thanks,
Rodney
Old 01-20-2008, 07:45 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It may take awhile for the lifters to "repressurize". Let it run till the oil gets warm.
Have you changed the oil since the tear down?

I would change to make sure you get any potential debris out of the system after "major" surgery.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:05 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasTexas
I need some help with this topic. First for the basics. This is for an '87 944 NA with 230K miles on it. I needed to replace the head gasket so I did other things while I was there. Replaced the timing and ballance belts plus all gaskets. When I had the Cam Tower off, I was careful to keep the lifters in the same order and placed them back into the same holes. I was careful in lining up the timing belt with TDC and the Cam gear. I also set the tension with a tool to be sure this is corret. I am using 20W50 oil. All bolts were tighened to the proper torque.

Here is the issue. The car started and ran well. However, the lifters seem to be making quite a racket - one in particular. At least that is what I believe the noise is. I shut down the car to seek your help.

Here are my questions.

1. How long should I expect the lifters to be noisy? I knew that as oil pressure to build up there would be noise. I did not expect this much. I did use assebmly lube to keep the lifters in place as I installed the cam tower, but I did not keep them in oil while they were out of the car.

2. Will being off by even one tooth cause this racket. I was careful, but could this be my culprit?

3. Should I just run it until the oil gets heated and fully coats the lifters to see if this will go away?

4. Anything else that I should check.

Thanks for all of your help. I searched the forum to see if there was a string to help - which did help some. I am just worried that I have done something wrong and don't want to risk huring the car too much.

Thanks,
Rodney
1. If the tower sat a while, it can take a few minutes for the lifters to quiet down. I've never ad it last more than 2 or 3 minutes, but others have reported longer here.

2. One tooth should not cause noise -- but if you are not sure whether it is spot on, go back and check!

3. Depends on the noise -- if it is just the lifters, and you have good oil pressure, and it is not getting worse, then I'd run it to see if they quiet down.

4. Make sure you have good oil pressure. Were you careful not to install the cam tower gasket upside down? Cheap mechanics stethescope can help pinpoint the noise.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:28 PM
Stien
Burning Brakes

My lifters made a lot of noise when I started the car for the first time in a while, it eventually goes away after the car heats up. How long did you run your car for? I just make sure not to rev it too much when it's warming up.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:09 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

^ +1
Old 01-21-2008, 12:30 AM
Stien
Burning Brakes

hahah +1 to the tittie?
Old 01-22-2008, 10:58 PM
DallasTexas
AutoX

Tom, et al,

Thanks for the help and advice. After reading your posts, I started the car again to listen to the lifters. Well the most horrendous knocking noise started - so I attempted to locate it. Sounded like it came from inside the timing cover. I shut it down and waited until I could investigate.

Took off the timing belt cover tonight and found the timing belt to be very loose. I thought I set the tension right, but must have messed up something. So I set the tension right this time using a tensioning tool (and double checked), left the cover off to observe what was going on, and started the car. The lifters did click for a bit, but they finally settled down to a smooth sound. The timing belt behaved correctly this time. Let the car run until it warmed up and it sounded just great again. Sure had me scared.

Thanks again for the help.

Rodney

Quick Reply: Lifter Noise after Headgasket Install