Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early 44 guys: Need Help/Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 01:55 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Early 44 guys: Need Help/Pictures

Two questions. Pics or an explanation would be great:

-How does the HVAC blower fan cover attach, in terms of bolts? I see the front bolt which clearly goes through the catch on the plastic cover, but the two tabs with eyes don't match up to anything on the body. I have some butyl tape to make a seal.

-Do late 944 drip rails (the parts that go over the doors) work on an early car? I'm looking to buy them from a local guy who has both styles, but the early style rails he has are faded. A search here only returns threads on how to remove these parts.

Thanks.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:05 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes, late gutters will fit directly on an early car, and it's a good looking upgrade. Get some extra clips with the gutters if you can... I can't remember if the early and late clips are the same. But that part of the chassis is the same.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:26 PM
76 911s
Racer

Originally Posted by yellowline
-Do late 944 drip rails (the parts that go over the doors) work on an early car? I'm looking to buy them from a local guy who has both styles, but the early style rails he has are faded. A search here only returns threads on how to remove these parts.

Thanks.
The answer is yes and no. I did this on my old 85. While the late rails technically fit on the car, you have no easy way of attaching them, unless you want to drill into the sheetmetal to put the late style clips on. The early drip rails have the attaching clips as part of the drip rail, whereas the later car's rail is shaped loosely as a c-channel, attached to clips on the cars body. If the car sits outside/you live somewhere salt is used, I wouldn't drill into the car, as there is a horizontal seam under the rails that traps water/salt.

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Yes, late gutters will fit directly on an early car, and it's a good looking upgrade. Get some extra clips with the gutters if you can... I can't remember if the early and late clips are the same. But that part of the chassis is the same.
They don't quite fit "directly" on. The attachment isn't the same.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:29 PM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't find pictures of the HVAC cover attached, but here is a pic with it removed:

If I remember right, it's just a few bolts or nuts to remove. The bitch is all the sealant they used.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:24 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Chris, see the small bolt towards the back of the firewall with the washer about an inch in diameter? A similar shape is molded into the blower cover. If I try threading the bolt through that, the other side doesn't match up, and the cover deforms. Wasn't sure where the other spots to bolt it were. If someone can answer that, I'll be all set.

I'll think about the drip rails. I do live in Connecticut and use the car year-round (salt), but I put Wurth rust-stop primer and appropriate paint on everything. I'll think about it. Thanks for that info, guys.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:03 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

The PO of my friends early n/a added the late drip guards, he used some sort of body trim glue/sealant. It's been at least 2 years (when my friend bought the car) and they aren't coming off and no signs of rust yet..
Old 01-18-2008, 08:26 PM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, Joel. I was in such a rush to rip that stuff out, I didn't pay that much attention to how it was put together.

Quick Reply: Early 44 guys: Need Help/Pictures