Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED tail lights (quick n easy)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 03:41 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default LED tail lights (quick n easy)

You might have had interest in LED tail lights for your car. You may have seen those socket bulbs on ebay that are clusters of LEDs smushed together. Seems like an easy way to employ LEDs though it might make the light to localized. You may even have been concerned with how ricey it might look in the end.

This is the bulb to which I refer:

Well I had 2 bulbs burn out. They were the rear tail light bulbs, the ones that just glow at one constant luminosity, with your headlights on. Not the 2-step brake lights. I decided instead of buying a pair of incandescents from FLAPS for $8, I would just buy a pair of these LED guys from ebay for like $10 or something, and see how they work out. Also I figured LEDs would last "forever" so it's a better investment.

This is how it looked with the LED installed (inner light) with just the headlights on. The outer light is a 2-step, so in this pic it is just "glowing".

Here it is with the brake pedal held down.

Clearly, the LED light is too centralized, and it also seems too bright. Keep in mind, on ebay there are LED bulbs available with up to 40 LEDs in the cluster. These were the smallest ones I could find, with "only" 12 LEDs! And still too bright!

So here's what I did:

I put this in and this is how it looked with the headlights on, no brakes:

With the brakes on:

The paper has two effects: dimming the light, and scattering the light. At night, it looks very similar to the original incandescent, and this is quite satisfactory for me. Putting paper over an incandescent bulb is a fire hazard, but LEDs hardly get warm at all, even after hours of duty, so the paper is OK. The paper I used was one of those magazine subscription cards, but plain white printer paper should work fine too. The heavier the paper the stronger the filtering. I don't suggest using thin paper or oily/inky paper though, like magazine pages.

I hope you find this helpful!
Old 01-12-2008, 04:25 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write-up. I've been thinking about doing this myself but I'd have to do all the bulbs on the light and center panel.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:27 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Should pull less current. Looks great arash.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:34 AM
flashgordon
Instructor

Did you have any problems with the flasher for the turn signals not working correctly? I was told that LED bulbs don't draw enough current for the stock flashers and you had to install a different type of flasher. I wasn't sure if this was just a myth or not.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:14 PM
S2cab
Instructor

I have an LED backlit boost gauge in another car I own, & was told to use a voltage regulator inline or the LED would eventually burn out.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:34 PM
Jim 944S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a very popular mod on motorcycles... Look up:

http://www.signaldynamics.com/lighting_control.htm

I think you're talking about a "Load Equalizer" in regards to the turn signals. There are several of the moduals that are available for automotive use as well as motorcycle use in thier offerings.

I use the headlight modulator, tail/brake light, and backoff modules on my Harley... VERY effective!

Jim 1987 944S
Old 01-12-2008, 03:50 PM
Jim 944S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm using the 1.85" 48LED bulb on the Harley turn signals, front and rear, with the rears integrated with the brake light and back-off module.

http://www.customdynamics.com/motorcycle_led_bulbs.htm

I see that custom dynamics now has an LED cluster with LED's around the base which now gives the same coverage as a regular incandescent. Ice Shark had done some experimentation with LED's when he was designing his famous tail light conversion kits and discounted LED's as being too expensive. Expensive yes, but I'd like to see someone do a REAL LED rear display and see how it looks. You'd have to disassemble the taillight housing in and perhaps drill a bit to get the LED's into the housing.

Many sources for single plug in displays, or single or multiple width runs of LED's.

Jim 1987 944S
Old 01-12-2008, 04:51 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
The paper I used was one of those magazine subscription cards, but plain white printer paper should work fine too. The heavier the paper the stronger the filtering. I don't suggest using thin paper or oily/inky paper though, like magazine pages.
have you considered using a foil backed paper to help scatter the light better?
Old 01-12-2008, 05:42 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chris luckett
have you considered using a foil backed paper to help scatter the light better?
Hmm that sounds like a good thing to try. It might take some trial & error to get the foil in the right size and shape but the result might look even better.

I did not use any load equalizers or voltage regulators. Time will tell if they burn out! My turn signals are working just fine. Though this may not be the case with early cars, which had a different arrangement of relays.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:05 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Good solution Arash- I have had a ton of trouble with my tail lights going out, to the point where I've had to run a new line to them (grounds work fine). Once I get around to tackling it properly, I'll put some of these in.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:19 PM
N/a 944
Racer

Nice write up arash! Might be something I will do when my next bulb goes. *now that I have said that I bet it goes out the next time I turn my lights on... DOH!!!*
Old 01-12-2008, 07:21 PM
N/a 944
Racer

Site note...
How come there is only 1 sticky on here? I think this would make a great one, and I am sure there would be more to follow.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:35 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by N/a 944
Site note...
How come there is only 1 sticky on here? I think this would make a great one, and I am sure there would be more to follow.
because this is not a ricer forum
Old 01-12-2008, 07:49 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Nah not sticky worthy. Maybe DIY-forum stuff... but maybe someone in the future will do a search and stumble upon this.

Thanks for all the compliments everyone!

Last edited by FRporscheman; 01-12-2008 at 11:35 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:55 PM
N/a 944
Racer

Originally Posted by chris luckett
because this is not a ricer forum
I wasn't expressly reffering to led conversions, but things like timing belt/ water pump diy's & walk throughs...

Quick Reply: LED tail lights (quick n easy)