Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

window not working properly

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008 | 12:45 AM
Kburke
Racer

Unhappy window not working properly

my window does not roll down or up properly when i try to roll it down it just falls and it wont roll up i have to pull it up in order for it to stay up is there a temporary solution that i can do so i can pass inspection (even though it does roll down) if so what is the permanent one?
Old 01-12-2008 | 01:12 AM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

leave it down and hope they don't cycle it.

what vehicle?

Old 01-12-2008 | 04:46 AM
Kburke
Racer

Originally Posted by bearone
leave it down and hope they don't cycle it.

what vehicle?

its a 87 944
Old 01-12-2008 | 04:52 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kburke
my window does not roll down or up properly when i try to roll it down it just falls and it wont roll up i have to pull it up in order for it to stay up is there a temporary solution that i can do so i can pass inspection (even though it does roll down) if so what is the permanent one?
For a temporary fix, you can pull out the window switch and swap it with one from the passenger side.

Then you can sit at a table to carefully take apart the faulty window switch and clean the contacts. Rub them with newspaper to get the oxidation and build up off, and reassemble putting the contacts in the exact same position.

If this doesn't fix it, you need to buy a new window switch.
Old 01-12-2008 | 05:01 AM
Kburke
Racer

p.s that is a good idea but it is still annoying not being able to open my window
Old 01-12-2008 | 05:06 AM
Kburke
Racer

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
For a temporary fix, you can pull out the window switch and swap it with one from the passenger side.

Then you can sit at a table to carefully take apart the faulty window switch and clean the contacts. Rub them with newspaper to get the oxidation and build up off, and reassemble putting the contacts in the exact same position.

If this doesn't fix it, you need to buy a new window switch.
when i press the window switch when the window is down the motor starts up and you can see the window struggling to go up. when the window is up i press it to go down and it starts to work then just falls all the way down sometimes if i dont get the window in the right position i will close my door and the window will just fall back down
Old 01-12-2008 | 07:56 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Then it sounds like there's a problem with your window regulator.

The door panel will have to come off and you may need to replace the regulator altogether. Try finding a good used one, although most are pretty worn out by now.
Old 01-12-2008 | 08:50 AM
hobiecat
Rennlist Member

I had the same problem when I bought my 87. The motor and switch were working fine, the window just kept falling into the door.
And I had to hold it up to get it to close. Most annoying.

When you open up the door panel, you'll see a combination of levers and plastic rollers that work like a scissors lift to raise and lower the window.
Sometimes, the plastic rollers get brittle and break, and this causes the window lifter mechanism to malfunction causing the symptoms you describe
(window falling in). When you get the door panel off, just take your time and work through it. It's not easy getting it all back together.

If the rollers are good, once you get it back together, just make sure you lubricate all the joints and rollers really well. Mine works like a new one now.

BUT....if you have some broken rollers, I think there's a fix for it, but you'd have to do a search.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-12-2008 | 10:12 AM
JayVee
Rennlist Member

There's a procedure on the Clark's garage website in the Garage Manual section on door panel removal. (It's easy to do.) Once you have it off you'll see what's broken. It could be the plastic rollers, or the window could have come unglued from the metal track it sits in.
Old 01-14-2008 | 12:57 PM
Kburke
Racer

Originally Posted by hobiecat
I had the same problem when I bought my 87. The motor and switch were working fine, the window just kept falling into the door.
And I had to hold it up to get it to close. Most annoying.

When you open up the door panel, you'll see a combination of levers and plastic rollers that work like a scissors lift to raise and lower the window.
Sometimes, the plastic rollers get brittle and break, and this causes the window lifter mechanism to malfunction causing the symptoms you describe
(window falling in). When you get the door panel off, just take your time and work through it. It's not easy getting it all back together.

If the rollers are good, once you get it back together, just make sure you lubricate all the joints and rollers really well. Mine works like a new one now.

BUT....if you have some broken rollers, I think there's a fix for it, but you'd have to do a search.

Hope this helps.
thanks for the advice yea i do have to hold it up to keep it up its really bad when i pay tolls on the interstate but i will be taking a closer look at it this thurs hopefully in shop.
Old 01-14-2008 | 01:23 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

i got the rollers from partsheaven some time back.

the window sits in a channel and the rollers keep it in place as it goes up/down.

i found it easiest to get the window in the tracks at about mid position and had to feel for it cuz i could see it.

Old 01-12-2009 | 02:16 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Bump, how did you seal the window into the rubber/track? Mine has fallen half way out.
Old 01-12-2009 | 02:25 AM
Kburke
Racer

Originally Posted by Keithr726
Bump, how did you seal the window into the rubber/track? Mine has fallen half way out.
I dont think I understand.
Old 01-12-2009 | 02:40 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

How do I reattach the window into the track?
Old 01-12-2009 | 12:21 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Oh....the bottom piece that it sits in....I think.

If so, I cleaned the windows as well as I could, cleaned out the rubber piece on both sides as well as I could, and then I use 3M Trim Adhesive on both sides of the rubber, set the window in, rolled it up all the way, and let it sit overnight.

I'm sure there's a more appropriate adhesive, but that worked just fine for over a year (until I got hit in that door).

Quick Reply: window not working properly