Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'88 will not start

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 12:48 AM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Id bet my middle nut it's either the ref sensors or the harness that connects them to the DME.
And BTW the coil is TOO easy to test. Just on the car, ground, and tap a plug. The plug should spark. The "how to" is on clarks garage.

When I had a problem like this I tested EVERYTHING and even got new refs and it still didnt fire up.
Long story short... it was the harness. I just got a replacement from Lindsey and Viola!
Old 01-08-2008, 04:45 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Shabba
I also realize that the reference sensors need to be wiggled or shaken, mostly in hope that the magnet has become stuck. My friend will be trying that tonight thanks to the fantastic picture from Colin.
This sounds like the problem you're having. My 951 would hesitate to restart when hot and wiggling the speed and reference sensor wires would get it to start every time.

Replaced both speed and reference sensor and now it starts normally, hot or cold.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:43 AM
quinnfiske
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't overlook the distributor rotor. There is a little set screw that holds it in place on the shaft. If that screw vibrates loose and falls out, the rotor will not rotate and you get no spark.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Shabba
Racer

Originally Posted by quinnfiske
Don't overlook the distributor rotor. There is a little set screw that holds it in place on the shaft. If that screw vibrates loose and falls out, the rotor will not rotate and you get no spark.

I actually checked that...it was the first thing I checked after making sure I was getting fuel.

As an update to all this mess, my friend back in Georgia was able to check the reference sensors. One of them (I'm not sure which one), was apparently LOOSE and he was able to pull it up and out...he said he tightened it back in place but the car is still getting no spark. I am going to purchase new sensors and take them with me next week when I go back to bring the car home. I'm also going to check the harness and see if it is loose anywhere like many of the posters have suggested to me. And of course, the coil will be checked too...
Old 02-05-2008, 09:10 PM
Shabba
Racer

Another update...

I didn't get the sensors because I honestly didn't find time to do it. Sooo.... I towed the car back here to Richmond and it is sitting in the front yard taking up space. There has been NO time to do anything much except trickle charge the battery. I have cranked the car a couple of times after messing with the reference sensor and the tach is not jumping at all. I am assuming at this point that it IS the sensor. I'm searching the site for the cheapest sensor possible so any suggestions would also be appreciated. My other car, the '79 280zx (my skittle!) is taking up the rest of my time getting it back on the road. Legally that is.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:53 AM
Shabba
Racer

Yah!!

Mystery solved. Problem taken care of. Issue resolved. Wow.

After spending $240 in gas to drive to Atlanta and back, dragging my parents to Richmond so they could drive my father's truck back to Atlanta after towing my '44 here to Virginia, countless hours of lost sleep over how to fix the damn car, days of smelling like exhaust at work from having to drive my stinky *** Z to work (love those old fume-y cars), straining friendships over asking for help moving the car around the yard and scratching the passenger rocker panel on the dollie because of improper loading for the trip from Atlanta to Richmond, I have fixed the car. For free. If you dont count all the mess I listed before "I have fixed the car" in the last sentence.

It was the reference sensor. Or rather, it was the plug on the firewall. Oh yes, I just said that. It was the bottom plug, it was loose and it was causing all this fuss.

Thanks for the help guys. It runs great. Almost 2 months of not driving the '44 will need to be made up this weekend.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:03 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Colin,

Great name! Thanks for the pic... I didnt realize they were so visible. That helps!

And no, I had not changed the oil. The oil needed changing and I had stopped at Advance to get some.

dont fall for it. that pic is the most misleading thing ive EVER seen. that area is tucked in between the firewall and the bellhousing and is a pain to work in.

btw if the guy you have working on your car is having trouble me and my dad live about 20 min away from auto atl.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:04 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

oooook then. nvm. glad you solved your problem. this will teach me to post without reading everything. lol
Old 02-07-2008, 01:51 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm also going to check the harness and see if it is loose anywhere like many of the posters have suggested to me.
Sounds like you found the solution to the problem some time ago. Glad the car is running again.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:09 AM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

Yah!!

Mystery solved. Problem taken care of. Issue resolved. Wow.

After spending $240 in gas to drive to Atlanta and back, dragging my parents to Richmond so they could drive my father's truck back to Atlanta after towing my '44 here to Virginia, countless hours of lost sleep over how to fix the damn car, days of smelling like exhaust at work from having to drive my stinky *** Z to work (love those old fume-y cars), straining friendships over asking for help moving the car around the yard and scratching the passenger rocker panel on the dollie because of improper loading for the trip from Atlanta to Richmond, I have fixed the car. For free. If you dont count all the mess I listed before "I have fixed the car" in the last sentence.
Well I'm just glad that it didn't put you through hell or anything. That would have sucked.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:04 AM
Shabba
Racer

Originally Posted by Campeck
oooook then. nvm. glad you solved your problem. this will teach me to post without reading everything. lol
It's quite ok. I went to Auto Atlanta back in December to pick up a spare DME relay when the car quit. I LOVE that place. Holy crap...
Old 02-07-2008, 11:05 AM
Shabba
Racer

Originally Posted by 944obscene
Well I'm just glad that it didn't put you through hell or anything. That would have sucked.
Thanks for the support. I see you love sarcasm as much as I do!

Quick Reply: '88 will not start