Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! failed NJ safety inspection

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 03:56 PM
ahsan127
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default HELP! failed NJ safety inspection

I brought my 91 S2 for the NJ vehicle inspection the other day. It passed emissions with no problem, but failed the safety part of the test. I have European driving lights as a lot of people do. I want to know if mine are working appropriately.

When I just turn the fog lamps on, the outside bulbs (of the fog lamp) come on. When I pull on the high beam lever in the car the inside bulbs (on the fog lamp) come on. But when I turn on the regular driving lights on low beam, the two pop-ups are on and the outside bulbs on the fog lamp come on.

The thing they got me for is that when I turn the high beam on with the fog lamps on, the high beam comes on the pop ups and inside bulbs on the fog lamp comes on. Apparently you are not allowed to have 4 lights on at the same time.

Is that the way its supposed to be, or is the wiring incorrect?
Old 12-22-2007, 04:47 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I've never really looked at mine and don't think I have euro lights...but as far as I know what you failed for is correct. I don't believe you're allowed to have both the high-beams and other lights on at the same time unless it's a factory installation (as sold in the USA).

Where in NJ...I am in western essex county.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:56 PM
ahsan127
Instructor

Somerset.

I have records going back to the day of purchase and it says nothing about updating the fog lamps. As far as I now, it came from the factory like that.

I wanted to know what the norm was...
Old 12-22-2007, 05:15 PM
gcb951
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, getting inspection is tough in NJ. You're supposed to have the fog lamps go on only with low beams. You can't have the fogs on with the high beams. I don't know if european lamps are set up differently. You might be able to get some type of toggle switch to manually get the fogs to turn on and off. Just a thought.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:15 PM
quinnfiske
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Euro lamps are for Europe only because the lighting laws are different. The US lights have the fogs but have reflectors in place of the driving lights. The Euros are sold with an "offroad use only" disclaimer by some vendors. Why not take the bulbs out of the driving lights for the inspector?
Old 12-22-2007, 11:11 PM
black944inMO
Intermediate

Why not just take the bulbs out for the inspection then put them back in once you pass? Unless NJ requires fog lights. I wouldn't think they would though.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:40 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll have to check whether the fogs go out when I pull back on the headlight stalk on my Euro '91 951, but I just went through a similar situation in which my fogs and high beams were on at the same time.

It turned out to be a short caused by cracked wires in the driver side headlight harness. It was hard to find, but if you pop the lights up and turn them off one notch leaving them up, you can check for your self.

Run your fingers along the headlight harness running from the plug and socket attached to the back of the headlight bucket to the bucket frame. The harness is attached to the frame from factory with a white wire tie that stresses the wiring inside when the lights go up and down and ends up cracking them.

I cut the wire tie and spotted the crack by noticing that the harness flopped over easily at that point. Had to cut the harness and splice the 3 wires inside (ground, high beam, low beam) with tiny brass connectors and little plastic shields over each one to prevent shorting.

Sealed it up in electrical tape using as much of the harness hose as possible, and now the lights work normally. So, check your harness for cracks. Meanwhile, I'll have a look at how my factory Euro lights work and report back.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:33 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ahsan127
When I just turn the fog lamps on, the outside bulbs (of the fog lamp) come on. When I pull on the high beam lever in the car the inside bulbs (on the fog lamp) come on. But when I turn on the regular driving lights on low beam, the two pop-ups are on and the outside bulbs on the fog lamp come on.

The thing they got me for is that when I turn the high beam on with the fog lamps on, the high beam comes on the pop ups and inside bulbs on the fog lamp comes on. Apparently you are not allowed to have 4 lights on at the same time.

Is that the way its supposed to be, or is the wiring incorrect?
OK, I just checked on my '91 Euro 951 and my lights work exactly the same way, so there's probably nothing wrong with your headlight harness.

Unless you have a gray market car or the lights were added afterwards, I would think these lighting specs were DOT approved when the car was imported by PCNA.

If the state inspection still gives you trouble after explaining to them that the lights came like that from factory, to pass the inspection I suggest you contact PCNA customer service and ask they confirm this for you in writing.

Normal operation of Euro lights on turbo nosed 944 cars is as follows:

1.- Lights off:

1.1- Pull back on headlight stalk on steering column and inner driving light assembly high beams turn on.
1.2- Push headlight stalk on steering column forward and nothing happens.

2.- Turn light switch **** clockwise 1 notch:
->Parking lights in outer section of driving light assembly turn on.

3.- Turn light switch **** clockwise 2 notches:
-> Pop ups come up and low beams turn on. Parking lights in outer section of driving light assembly are also on.

3.1- Pull back or push forward on steering column headlight stalk and pop up high beams turn on, plus inner driving light assembly high beams turn on.

4.- Turn on fog light switch with pop ups in low beam position:
-> Parking lights in outer section of driving light assembly switch to fog light mode by becoming more intense.

4.1- With fog light switch on, pull back or push forward steering column headlight switch and fog lights stay on, plus inner driving light assembly high beams turn on.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:07 PM
ahsan127
Instructor

Luis thanks for all the information.

I rechecked my records and apparently the PO bought euro lenses in May 2001. So I assume he also put them in. Its funny....I've had this car for 4 years now and it has passed inspection all along. Anyways, I will try removing the bulbs and see if it passes. I dont want to mess with the harness since its wired appropriately.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:08 PM
I love porsche
Three Wheelin'

just go to a private inspector, you will have no problem
Old 12-23-2007, 02:52 PM
black944inMO
Intermediate

I feel your pain. Mine failed once cause there was a PS hose that wasn't connected.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:23 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

this is the way euro lighting works. just pull the cables for the euro part of the lower lights.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:00 PM
flashgordon
Instructor

I see you're in Somerset. The best state inspection station to go to is in Flemington when you need a car to pass. The guys there let a lot of stuff go thru that other stations will knock you down for. My son just got his car passed there even with a turbo that smokes when boosted. I would pull the bulbs and try that before you do anything else. Good luck.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:02 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you only have to pull out a fuse in the fuse box to turn off the euro lights.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:33 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by billthe3
I think you only have to pull out a fuse in the fuse box to turn off the euro lights.
Or just disconnect the wires inside the driving light assemblies.

Quick Reply: HELP! failed NJ safety inspection