Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cold car problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 01:06 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cold car problems

my car's idle started surging in winter 03. i finally had the money to buy the parts and put them in (from paragon), meanign the i.a.c. and the t.p.s. in late winter 03/04. as far as i remember, it fixxed it.
around winter early 05 i finally put the car back on the road after doing lots and lots of work to the car, and noticed i was doing too well on gas mileage. i asked a few questions on here about my idle staying low and not having a high idle for cold temps. ive replaced a few more parts and nothing ever fixxed the problem. i have been driving the car daily again since that time in jan. 05, and just yesterday leaving work i am already getting a slight surging idle problem after putting new parts in about 4 years ago. im pretty sure they were genuine parts, since they were from paragon.
any thoughts? are all of these symptoms intertwined? would not being able to fix my fast idle lead to the surging problem?
Old 12-18-2007, 09:49 PM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

when I got mine it idled good, a couple of weeks later noticed how the car started idling rough after I put 93 in it, so I added 87 and it ran allright, when I use 89 it's perfect
I also checked oil - it was good, but it was low, so I've done this a couple of times - tried 93 with good ammount of oil and the car idles rough and sometimes dies out;
then I tried 89 with good oil and car runs perfect - idles a little low sometimes around 400-600, and 800-900 in cold - so just perfect

I dont know if anyone else's car is a little strange like this, or if this is normal' we checked spark plugs and wires and they are all good; but right now I'm saving up some $$$ so I can do a full tune up

I dont know how to tell if a sensor is bad or not, but these little things can add up and cause some very easily fixable problems (sometimes)
Old 01-06-2008, 03:11 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my car has not surged again since that one day(even though it has been down to 12*).
BUT, its still doign the same thing.
i set the idle when the car was warm, but its not always consistent. i set it for 900 rpm, but sometimes it will idle as high as maybe 1050 rpm. when the car first starts, it has no high idle feature, it just rattles everythign and idles around 750 or so rpm.
battery light is always on until i poke the gas pedal, but the idle never changes from the 750 until it warms up.
my plugs check out great, but i also notice a black spot under the bumper from the exhaust like my car is running extremely rich.
does anyone know what i should be looking for, or does my problem seem common?

Quick Reply: cold car problems