Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wiring console on early 944, help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 01:38 PM
jfzaki
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring console on early 944, help please

hi all,

this is my first post here. I recently bought a 1982/944 lux. it was in a complete mess but now up and running. I'm now trying to sort out the console wiring and lighting.

does anyone know what's the wiring for the clock and oil pressure gauge is?

It seems that the bulbs for oil pressure, clock and heater are connected in series but i don't know where the power should come from; specially that one of the brown wires seem to have 1.5-ish volts on it which is connected to the terminal on the clock casing which gives that volt to all the bulbs around. i think that this wiring is wrong and that's why the bulbs were fried before. i know that brown should be the ground on these cars but i don't know if the wiring is standard or has been tampered with before!

if you have the standard factory wiring that should be of a great help. specially if you have the connector wiring/voltages that are supplied to the console.

thanks in advance.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:31 PM
jfzaki
AutoX

hi again,

i sorted out most of the wiring now and everything works fine but i still have one wire (blue/white) coming out of the rectangular connector that i don't know where should it be connected?!!!

i'll draw a picture of the whole console and upload it for someone to help me.

thanks
Old 12-16-2007, 05:41 PM
sillbeer
Pro

yea pics would help. the wiring on the early cars is a mess, to say the least. Also, brown on these cars is ground. black on most other cars
Old 12-18-2007, 03:50 PM
jfzaki
AutoX

Default here is the picture

hi all,

here is the funny diagram of the situation but i think it's clear enough to show the point.

the pink color wire is the one i said earlier it is blue/white which i don't know where it is going. this diagram is after i fixed the situation which is not what it was before i fixed it.

the rectangle is the connector with each circle in it representing a terminal connector with a wire coming out of it with exactly the same color as in the car apart from the pink one.

the eleptical shape on the left is the hidden somewhere behind the console.

the round bits are the actual gauges and the top parts of them are bulbs connections. the lower parts are the actual signal for the gauge. the gauges works fine now including the clock with the exact time on it!

any ideas about the pink wire or the wire to the very right of the rectangular connector. it seems going to the hidden connector but nothing coming out of the hidden connector.

hope this makes sense.
Attached Images  
Old 12-18-2007, 03:51 PM
jfzaki
AutoX

sorry forgot to say that pink line has a 0 volt on it and the grey one (last one from the left) has 12v on it
Old 12-18-2007, 04:01 PM
jfzaki
AutoX

hi all,

here is the funny diagram of the situation but i think it's clear enough to show the point.

the pink color wire is the one i said earlier it is blue/white which i don't know where it is going. this diagram is after i fixed the situation which is not what it was before i fixed it.

the rectangle is the connector with each circle in it representing a terminal connector with a wire coming out of it with exactly the same color as in the car apart from the pink one.

the round bits are the actual gauges and the top parts of them are bulbs connections. the lower parts are the actual signal for the gauge. the gauges works fine now including the clock with the exact time on it!

any ideas about the pink wire or the wire to the very right of the rectangular connector. it seems going to the hidden connector but nothing coming out of the hidden connector.

hope this makes sense.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:11 PM
jfzaki
AutoX

hi all,

hope this makes sense.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:35 PM
jpk
Burning Brakes

OK, here it goes...

Right most connector (grey/black wire) is undimmed dashboard lights; it has nothing to do with these three guages, it just goes to one of the heater control lights and then on to the glovebox light.

Next connector over (your purple mystery connector) is to the oil pressure sending unit; it should be going to a terminal marked G on the oil pressure guage; there should be + 12v, ground, and this third terminal on the back of the guage.

You have the rest correct - oil pressure and volt meter get +12 volts from (your) black wire, clock gets +12 volts from your red wire, blue is the guage lights, and brown is ground the world around...
Old 12-19-2007, 02:35 AM
jfzaki
AutoX

hang on....

there must be something wrong and mysterious with my wiring because my oil pressure gauge works absolutely fine on the current wiring !!!!!! it starts at 5 bar then moves back as the oil is heated up. it goes up again depending on my acceleration pedal. so how come my pink wire should be the sender!!! i'm confused!!!!
Old 12-19-2007, 02:39 AM
jfzaki
AutoX

forgot to say my glove box light works fine and yeah, it seems like this last wire from the right (grey/black as jpk called it) is going to the heater which i called it hidden connector.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:34 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

You need wiring diagrams.
You have PM
Old 12-20-2007, 02:13 AM
jfzaki
AutoX

hans,

i couldn't understand the wiring diagram.... and there is no 1982....
Old 12-20-2007, 02:29 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What connections do you have in the center?

The oil pressure gauge should have a 2 pin, female plug that goes into of it.

The cigarette ligther should have 2 female spade connectors

As should the clock.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:35 AM
jpk
Burning Brakes

You can use the '83 diagrams - it's the same. It helps if you print the pages for each part and tape the side-by side (each part is two pages)

Look on part V, on the left side page. You can see the Heater control lights, clock, oil pressure guage and voltmeter as grey rectangles in the diagram.

Above them, you see the the wires go up for a bit, then you see a connector marked T6b with another number as a superscript. That indicates the connector you are describing, along with the pin number (the superscript)
You see that pin 1 is going to the heater control lights. In your diagram, this is the rightmost pin. Slightly below that connector, you see a marking for the wire color and size; in this case, gr/bl and 0.5, which means it's a grey wire with a black stripe, 0.5mm diameter.
Keep going up, and you see that this wire goes up and ends with a big letter U, and a IV 21 in a box - this means that the circuit continues on part IV, section 21(look for the 21 across the bottom, that will be on the right side of the second page) somewhere above the 21, you'll see a corresponding letter U and a V 6 in a box. That's where the circuit picks up.

Your mystery connector is pin 2 of connector T6b. You can see it below the oil pressure guage. It runs between terminal G of the guage and the oilr pressure sender. It's a black wire with a white stripe.

So, your connector goes like this: (pin 1 is rightmost)

pin 1 - grey/black wire going to the heater control lights. (this also supplies the glove box and ashtray lights from the back side of your connector)

pin 2 - black/white wire connecting ONLY to terminal G of the oil pressure guage.

pin 3 - grey/black wire feeding the bulbs in the heater control, clock, oil pressure guage and voltmeter. This one is controlled by the dash dimmer rheostat - you need to look at the rest of the circuit on part IV column 7 to see that it comes out of the dash rheostat.

pin 4 - black wire supplying switched 12 volts to the oil pressure and voltmeter.

pin 5 - red wire supplying unswitched 12 volts to the clock.

pin 6 - brown ground wire for everything.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:53 AM
jfzaki
AutoX

thanks a million that makes sense..... i'm off in couple of hours time to my holiday .... will be in touch when back. 3 weeks in the fantastic weather of egypt......

Quick Reply: wiring console on early 944, help please