Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

went to the dyno tonight

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007 | 10:17 PM
tk's944
Pro

Sorry to steal the thread, but what is the difference with all the types of dynos?
Old 12-04-2007 | 11:32 PM
parish8
AutoX

Originally Posted by tk's944
Sorry to steal the thread, but what is the difference with all the types of dynos?

the 2 most comon dynos are a dynojet and a mustang.

the most comon dynojet is an inertia only dyno. the way it works is you strap your car to it, run it up thru the gears till you are in drive or 4th and then mash it till you hit redline. your tires are spining a large and heavy roller. the hp is calculated by how fast you can acelerate the roller. most rollers are something like 4' in diameter and weigh 2500lb's so there is some load there.

the most comon mustang dyno is the eddy current load bearing dyno. sometimes there is a large heavy roller like the dynojet dyno and sometimes there are much smaller rollers. there are two main diferences with the mustang dyno. the first is there is a large electric motor(or like a motor) that will put a load on the rollers. they dont just freewheel like the dynojet. the other is the way they calculate or measure hp. i dont know how they come up with the numbers but a mustang dyno is right around 15% lower of a reading than the dynojet. most people consider the mustang to be more acurate but people like big numbers so the dynojet is populur.

the dynojet is best at wot pulls. floor it and see how fast you can spin up the rollers.

the mustang has all kinds of sweet features because of the loading. i belive a single eddycurent unit can absorb 400hp. that means all the way up to 400hp the dyno can hold you back. you can set the dyno to hold you at lets say 4000rpm. then floor it and it will apply as much load as needed to hold you at that rpm. you can hold wot and tune on the fly and see if you are gaining hp. all in real time. very cool.

keep in mind these are my observations. there are lots of diferent kinds of dynos out there. many diferent brands and many diferent options for each brand. you can get a dynojet with eddy current loads. water brake dynos. dynos you hook right onto your wheel hubs.
Old 12-05-2007 | 12:24 AM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by parish8
the 2 most comon dynos are a dynojet and a mustang.

the most comon dynojet is an inertia only dyno. the way it works is you strap your car to it, run it up thru the gears till you are in drive or 4th and then mash it till you hit redline. your tires are spining a large and heavy roller. the hp is calculated by how fast you can acelerate the roller. most rollers are something like 4' in diameter and weigh 2500lb's so there is some load there.

the most comon mustang dyno is the eddy current load bearing dyno. sometimes there is a large heavy roller like the dynojet dyno and sometimes there are much smaller rollers. there are two main diferences with the mustang dyno. the first is there is a large electric motor(or like a motor) that will put a load on the rollers. they dont just freewheel like the dynojet. the other is the way they calculate or measure hp. i dont know how they come up with the numbers but a mustang dyno is right around 15% lower of a reading than the dynojet. most people consider the mustang to be more acurate but people like big numbers so the dynojet is populur.

the dynojet is best at wot pulls. floor it and see how fast you can spin up the rollers.

the mustang has all kinds of sweet features because of the loading. i belive a single eddycurent unit can absorb 400hp. that means all the way up to 400hp the dyno can hold you back. you can set the dyno to hold you at lets say 4000rpm. then floor it and it will apply as much load as needed to hold you at that rpm. you can hold wot and tune on the fly and see if you are gaining hp. all in real time. very cool.

keep in mind these are my observations. there are lots of diferent kinds of dynos out there. many diferent brands and many diferent options for each brand. you can get a dynojet with eddy current loads. water brake dynos. dynos you hook right onto your wheel hubs.
That is "prolly" one of the best basic descriptions of dynos I have ever read and I have been readin on them a bunch.

My thoughts are that once you start modding and going back for more runs, stay with what ever dyno you started with if possible.

IPSC
Old 12-05-2007 | 01:01 AM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Actually, a lot of the more reputable tuners have gone to the Dynojet 224xLC, which is an Eddy Current unit. This is why you really can't add 15% for Mustang numbers any longer. Regardless, nothing beats tuning on the road/track with a wide band; real load, real drag, real airflow, real temps etc.
Old 12-05-2007 | 12:28 PM
HIGHBOOST
Pro

Parish,

I'm not sure what you mean by the 'stang dyno being able to hold you back?
Old 12-05-2007 | 06:39 PM
parish8
AutoX

Originally Posted by DVC
Actually, a lot of the more reputable tuners have gone to the Dynojet 224xLC, which is an Eddy Current unit. This is why you really can't add 15% for Mustang numbers any longer. Regardless, nothing beats tuning on the road/track with a wide band; real load, real drag, real airflow, real temps etc.
i am aware of the dynojet with the eddy current option but i still think they use the more generous calculations for your hp numbers. if i was to get buy a dyno it would be the dynojet with eddy current option. you could run it on inertia mode to get the good numbers and use the eddy current ability to get your tune right on.

a load bearing dyno will allow you to get a very acurate tune. it is prety hard to tune a 9sec car on the street and often at the track it is hours between runs. makes tuning on a load bearing dyno a good option.
Old 12-05-2007 | 06:49 PM
parish8
AutoX

Originally Posted by HIGHBOOST
Parish,

I'm not sure what you mean by the 'stang dyno being able to hold you back?
a mustang dyno can have one or two of those eddy current units we were talking about. each one can hold back 400hp. that means if you have a twin eddy current dyno it can hold back 800hp.

what that means is all the way up to 800hp the dyno can hold the rpms at a steady state. not sure if i would hold an 800hp back for very long but it can do it.

let me give you a real world example. i am going to put a squirt on this 944. when i goto the dyno i am going to tell the dyno to hold me at 2500rpm. i will get it into 4th gear and floor it. the dyno will apply as much force as it has to in order to hold me at 2500rpm. i will be able to floor it and while flooring it adjust my timing and fueling in real time and look at the screen on the dyno and see if it is gaining or loosing hp. after i adjust the timing and fuel at that point for max hp i will adjust the holding point on the dyno to 3000rpm and do the same thing.

the tuning software has adjustment points at every 500rpm so i will be able to just go from 2500 to 3000 to 3500.... all the way to 6000rpm and do real time wot adjustments for max hp.

there are some other neat things a load bearing dyno can do but that example is one of the more usefull things it can do for you.
Old 12-05-2007 | 07:08 PM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by parish8
it is prety hard to tune a 9sec car on the street
True, true.
Old 12-06-2007 | 12:19 PM
HIGHBOOST
Pro

Parish,

awesome man, it makes perfect sense now.

Quick Reply: went to the dyno tonight