Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant leak at rear?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007 | 12:04 AM
mclarenno9
Pro

Default Coolant leak at rear?

Ok, I am guessing I already know the answer to my question but I am going to ask for some confirmation.

Basically, I have coolant coming out of the holes on the bottom of the bellhousing and the starter. It is not leaking fast at all, maybe 1 drop every hour at best but I know this needs to be fixed before it becomes very bad (and I lose my clutch / weld up my torque tube!).

Now, I had already (I thought) fixed a leak at the rear water neck maybe a year ago (new gasket and all). Yes, I did take off the turbo's cycling valve bracket at that time and did install extra washers so the bolts wouldn't bottom out.

If I have coolant ending up in the bellhousing, the only way it can get in there is from the flywheel inspection hole on the top, correct? And the only way it will get in there is if the line from the water neck to the heater control unit is leaking somewhere, be it at the flange, a hose or the heater valve itself?

I have the intake off now and would like to fix this leak... any ideas or suggestions?
Attached Images  
Old 11-30-2007 | 12:57 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

More than likely its the heater control valve...drain the coolant and take it off before you soak your clutch!
Old 11-30-2007 | 04:05 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

+1 for the heater valve. Also, when I did my venturi delete I tried removing the clamp that holds down the line to the brake booster, big mistake resulting in the same problem as removing the one for the CV mount. I wonder how much of that coolant found my clutch.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak at rear?