Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My master cylinder gone? Some help please.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 05:50 PM
ExitWound
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had to invest in some new sockets and such just to get the two firewall nuts off, including the u-joint. Finding a 13mm socket on a 1/4" drive was impossible by the way. The 3/8" driver and extensions wouldn't fit in the space I had.

But now, I'm stuck. I can't get the hard line removed from the master cylinder. First of all, just to make sure, which way does it thread? Do I turn the wrench towards the passenger or driver's side of the car? It's a 12mm wrench but it doesn't seem like it wants to turn at all. I'm getting no indication that it's budging at all and with the air conditioning and wiring harness in the way, I have no play at all in how I approach the nut.

I have no transportation to get what I need tonight and it's supposed to sleet tomorrow (again), making it impossible for me to actually get any work done on this thing. What began as a 2-3 hour job has now taken nearly 5 and I've gotten practically nowhere. The master cylinder is detached from the pedal, and the firewall (mostly), but i can't disconnect the hard line.

And ideas?
Old 12-08-2007, 07:52 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Passenger's side - it is a nut that is flared onto the hard line, so it screws into the master cylinder.

If you're having problems, you should be spraying liberally with Kryoil/PB Blaster/whatever and if you have a line wrench, use it.

Sorry to hear you're having problems - it is a ****ty job, which I was reminded of when double-checking the answer I just gave you.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:29 PM
ExitWound
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a lot of unnecessary work it seems for such an 'easy' replacement. The cylinder is only 4-5 inches beneath the hood. You'd think it'd be easy. Why oh why did they route the air conditioning lines exactly above the master cylinder?? Certainly, in the life of the car, the clutch would die out and/or have to be serviced. It just doesn't seem logical to have done so in this manner.

Quick Reply: My master cylinder gone? Some help please.