Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new clutch observations

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 01:39 PM
jbob
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new clutch observations

so i got a new clutch and lots of bad symptoms went away - good

i do have a couple of little things i'd like some input on

1 - in the mornig its not super easy to get into first, and even when its warm theres still kind of a clicking feeling half the time i upshift - (with the clutch down). subtle, but just a small feeling of a metallic click as im putting into 2nd/3rd. i guess i was expecting total butter between gears with the new clutch

2- is there a way to adjust the throw of the clutch, its set to go all the way down to release, are there ways to shorten that?

i apologize for the hyper vigilance with this car. i have kind of a love affair going on, and i guess that makes me paranoid. I'm also new to this car, so I appreciate any thoughts, even if it is to say im paranoid.

87 924S black on black
Old 11-19-2007, 05:38 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jbob
so i got a new clutch and lots of bad symptoms went away - good

i do have a couple of little things i'd like some input on

1 - in the mornig its not super easy to get into first, and even when its warm theres still kind of a clicking feeling half the time i upshift - (with the clutch down). subtle, but just a small feeling of a metallic click as im putting into 2nd/3rd. i guess i was expecting total butter between gears with the new clutch

2- is there a way to adjust the throw of the clutch, its set to go all the way down to release, are there ways to shorten that?

i apologize for the hyper vigilance with this car. i have kind of a love affair going on, and i guess that makes me paranoid. I'm also new to this car, so I appreciate any thoughts, even if it is to say im paranoid.

87 924S black on black
#1- sounds like there is something going on in you transaxle, possible ring & pinion- I've never had one go out and I don't know the symptoms, but I know its a common failure.

#2- If you are referring to pedal travel, yes and no. You really need to depress it all the way to release it. However, if there is free play (where you can tell there is a portion of travel that is not disengaging the clutch) you can adjust that up under the dash. Word of warning- if you set it too tight, the clutch will be partially disengaged all the time, and you'll be replacing it soon. I've read that you want a good 1/4" of free travel before you feel the clutch disengaging.

#3- Don't apologize for taking care of your car! If I didn't have so many other things going on, I'd be the same way. I find myself just doing enough to keep her going. And I desperately need to do my belts.

Quick Reply: new clutch observations