Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another water leak thread...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Ian928
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another water leak thread...

We have searched and read the archives, but have not found a conclusive answer yet. It is a 1989 951 US-model with sunroof. We have been chasing a water leak causing the left rear footwell to be soaked, and yesterday we found the right rear footwell to be wet also. It seems like the water is running down behind the B-panel and ends on top of the sill and pours into the footwell. See picture. I must emphasize that this is where it feels most wet, it has been raining for so long and tha car is so damp inside it's hard to tell. We have removed the roof panel and it don't seem to be coming from the sunroof. All the sunroof drains are in place and tested with water. Has anyone experienced water leaking in this area?
Attached Images  

Last edited by Ian928; 11-13-2007 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:55 PM
RMills944
Drifting

mine does that... i'm guessing door seals
Old 11-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

put a piece of tape on the bottom of the quarter windows. if that doesnt do it, put a piece of tape around the sunroof. if that doesnt do it, it is the hatch.

there are only three places as i've learned the hard way. also take out your rear seat. the bottom may be starting to grow mold. it gets funky under the seat real fast.

i started a few threads on this about a year ago.l good luck
Old 11-13-2007, 11:01 AM
Ian928
Pro

Originally Posted by Tom R.
put a piece of tape on the bottom of the quarter windows. if that doesnt do it, put a piece of tape around the sunroof. if that doesnt do it, it is the hatch.

there are only three places as i've learned the hard way. also take out your rear seat. the bottom may be starting to grow mold. it gets funky under the seat real fast.

i started a few threads on this about a year ago.l good luck
Sounds like a good plan!

With bottom of the quarter windows, do you mean between the window and the gasket or between the gasket and body (guessing between glass and gasket but need to be sure).

What part of the hatch leak in your experience? My 928 once leaked LOTS of water in through the hinge bolts. We put some "creeping crack sealer" onto the hatch bolts on the 951 yesterday, just to be sure. If the "tape-test" points to the quarter windows we will try the same stuff on them.

It is almost strange how a waterleak like this changes Porsche ownership from a pleasure to a pain...
Old 11-13-2007, 11:15 AM
Ian928
Pro

Originally Posted by RMills944
mine does that... i'm guessing door seals
We looked at that, everything seemed pretty dry between the two seals, and the door seals looked to be in OK shape. Also, we removed the plastic sheet to get into the door this summer (it had been opened before) but we did tape it into place again. Hmmm, maybe something tore when we put the cover back on... I can imagine a water leak like that getting over the seal!

Thank you!
Old 11-13-2007, 11:39 AM
catamount
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had water in the rear passenger footwell and from what I have been able to determine its not from the hatch, its not from window, door or even sunroof seal. All signs now point to the drain tube in the sunroof. I suspect its plugged almost completely. I say this because I have seen a little standing water around the sunroof and it only leaks when we have heavy rain.

Quick Reply: Another water leak thread...