Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mobil 1 for 944

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 08:42 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by orcadigital
I guess it depends on your "needs".

Thicker oil = better protection.

Thinner oil = better hp.

The other issue might be how often you change your oil as well. As a chemist once explained to me, multiweight oils with a larger differential (% not fixed weight) were more prone to breakdown, especially in higher horsepower engines. Thus a 10w30 was better then a 5w30 in wear characteristics (the oil wear, not engine wear), as its a factor of 3 vs a factor of 6. I am speaking in general terms of oil, not specifics to the 944. I run 15w50 in my 914 race car, and will most likely run the same in my 944 for the above reasons (it has 5w30 in it now, and not leaking).
That is just not true. Modern synthetics are specifically designed to run in modern engines with much tighter tolerances. Do you really think that Porsche would intentionally reccomend thinner, less protective oils in models such as the GT2, GT3, and Carrera GT? Can you say Class Action Lawsuit?
The molecular structure of modern synthetics is leaps and bounds more stable than it was with early synthetics. The greater concern is over the poor composition of the current oils running under the new, less protective american standards.
As was said above. a good search on the 944 as well as the 944 turbo board will give one a WEALTH of knowledge vis a vis the new poorer standards as well as the companies that have remained true to the older standards, with are MUCH better for 944 engines.
Mobil 1 is currently running the new standard.
Valvoline VR1 racing, Redline, AGIP 4T, Amsoil, and Joe Gibbs Racing, among a few others are using the old standards containing significantly higher levels of zinc etc, that act as thin barriers.
If you search my name or just oil, you find an extensive write up and discussion.

For those running heavier oils or dino oils, rest assured that if you go to a thin synthetic, you will soon find EVERY single minute leak in the engine. lol

The same write up appears to be in the pelican thread posted above. Give it a close read. Thanks for posting that Ben.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 for 944