Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Leak from fan temp switch?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 02:51 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coolant Leak from fan temp switch?

So, the small (very small) puddle of coolant on my garage floor clued me in to a coolant leak. Jacked up the car and took a look, it looks like there's a small ribbon of fluid coming down the back of the radiator on the driver's side, with the point of origin appearing to be the fan temp switch.

I already checked for the milkshake and don't have one, so I'm positive the leak from that area is the problem, not headgasket or oil cooler seals. Is the problem some sort of o-ring/seal for that switch that needs replacing. Since I'd have to take the switch out to do that, should I just replace the switch too (since with a seal it's something like $15)?

What the devil do I use to get the switch out (besides a German midget)? And, finally...do I have to drain the coolant in order to switch out the switch?
Old 11-08-2007, 03:23 PM
RMills944
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not sure about how to replace the switch, but I would just replace the switch while I was in there... save the trouble later
Old 11-08-2007, 03:26 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The switch has a small gasket that is probably leaking. A new switch is about 30 bucks and comes with the gasket. Since you are pulling it to replace the gasket, no point putting back in an old switch.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:27 PM
RMills944
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI: a double-jointed midget helps too...
Old 11-08-2007, 03:28 PM
martin944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the switch has a seal ring similar to the oil plug seal ring, which probably contracts when the weather gets cold. I think you'll need to remove the radiator to get to the switch.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:33 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
The switch has a small gasket that is probably leaking. A new switch is about 30 bucks and comes with the gasket. Since you are pulling it to replace the gasket, no point putting back in an old switch.
That was my thinking too. Is there a tool that fits in there?
Old 11-08-2007, 05:40 PM
MyBlackCar
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wipeout
So, the small (very small) puddle of coolant on my garage floor clued me in to a coolant leak. Jacked up the car and took a look, it looks like there's a small ribbon of fluid coming down the back of the radiator on the driver's side, with the point of origin appearing to be the fan temp switch.

I already checked for the milkshake and don't have one, so I'm positive the leak from that area is the problem, not headgasket or oil cooler seals. Is the problem some sort of o-ring/seal for that switch that needs replacing. Since I'd have to take the switch out to do that, should I just replace the switch too (since with a seal it's something like $15)?

What the devil do I use to get the switch out (besides a German midget)? And, finally...do I have to drain the coolant in order to switch out the switch?
30 mm deep socket. A few specialty online retailers have them. The other option is a 30mm FWD axle socket from Autozone. If you have the radiator out, any 30mm wrench will do. Upon reassembly, I recommend using a thin layer of sealant on the mating surfaces. I did this for my thermal switch and it has had no problems.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:41 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MyBlackCar
30 mm deep socket. A few specialty online retailers have them. The other option is a 30mm FWD axle socket from Autozone.
Gotcha. I'll have to look for one.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:21 AM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

So, here's a question...I see two or three different switches - what's the difference between the different temp switches?

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak from fan temp switch?