Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixing the Sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007 | 04:55 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Default Fixing the Sunroof

Hey guys,

I'm trying to fix my sunroof, and I'm not totally sure of all the parts I need. When I bought the Porsche, there was NOTHING holding the front down except the center "V" plate. The rear of the sunroof has these two manual latches which I am under the impression, do not belong. The car is equipped with a power sunroof as I see the motor in the drivers side fender. I guess I'll bullet point my questions:

1 - As far as gaskets go, does the LARGE fat gasket go on the body of the car, and the small skinny gasket go on the removable sunroof?

2 - Do the power sunroofs have manual latches in the rear? Or did the previous owner of my car just put those on because the motor or relays were busted?

3 - I just bought two used front latches for the sunroof (mine were missing) and I rebuilt them using new plastic "V" latch retainers. Is there supposed to be a latch that goes in the middle?

4 - The built in vinyl covered headliner that attaches to the underside of the sunroof. Well... where the two latches are, there is a hole on each one that then becomes covered when the front latches are closed. I'm not talking about the two latch prongs that go into the square hole, I mean the small round holes. It looks like maybe I'm missing a screw, or maybe a plastic cap that's supposed to hold the headliner in towards the sunroof where the latches are? Anyone have a picture of what they should look like?

5 - Is there a typical rebuild kit for the sunroof motor? I don't even know that it's bad, I just assume it is as everything is disconnected.

6 - Does anyone have the wiring schematics for the sunroof switch in the center console? I've hooked mine up as best as I figured, but the previous owner had pulled the prings out from the underside of the switch. I'm not REALLY sure though that I have them back where they are supposed to be.

I have the car covered now, but before I had those two front latches, rain would get in and it almost destroyed my new interior (guess I should have fixed this first, I just didn't know it was bad until we had a huge rain).

Thanks!

Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2004 Volkswagen Beetle Convertible
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX-P74
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6 (3.2)
1984 Porsche 944
1981 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 (Olds 455)
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter (1800cc)
Old 11-07-2007 | 05:04 PM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

1- not sure

2-no the power and manual latches are different

3-the middle is a microswitch that stops the roof either fully open or fully closed, not sure

4-not sure

5-better to buy a used one from www.dcauto.com or someone on here

6-do you have the shop manual it has wiring diagrams

Quick Reply: Fixing the Sunroof