Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery maintainer and starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 01:36 PM
tortoise944
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery maintainer and starting issues

I reciently got a nice 98 Boxster and it came with a Porsche battery maintainer. Since I knew I wouldnt be driving the 944 much at first (I mean, I love my 944 but everything that annoys me slightly about the 944 is perfect in the boxster) I plugged the battery into the maintainer.

Now, this may be where I screwed up. I used the cigarette lighter adapter as the maintainer could be in the car and since its outside and the battery in the 944 is almost exposed, I didnt really think much about it. I did a few searches and didnt see any issues.

After a few months, I come out to start the car and the battery is low. I find out the battery was old and had died. Replaced the battery, go to start the car and it cranks but doesnt start.

I have, within the last year, replaced the injectors, plugs, coil wires, and did a full top end rebuild / recondition. And it has run perfectly for months before this with no issues.

A few questions:
- Does using a battery maintainer through the lighter plug on an early 944 (84) hurt sometime? Like the DME? Relay? Fuel Pump?
- What does the fuel pump sound like when your starting the car? I cant remember so I cant tell if its running.
- Is the car really pissed I went out and got a newer Porsche and is just spiting me?

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-27-2007, 01:36 PM
tortoise944
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A tad more info as I am working on this:

- Replaced the DME / fuel pump relay up under the dash with my new spare
- Checked the cap / rotor, some usual wear but nothing that looks like it would prevent spark.
- With cap off, cranked starter fast and the rotor turned, so the starter is turning the engine
- Removed #1 cyl spark plug. These were just changed by me today. Plug is as white as it was out of the box. No burn no burn smell. Faint fuel smell on the plug but it was dry to the touch. They are new Bosch Platnum +4s, pregapped

So, did my DME get fried from the battery maintainer in the lighter plug? Or is this some other "didnt drive the car for 4 months and something failed" kind of thing?

Quick Reply: Battery maintainer and starting issues