Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting ready to do my timing belt job...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 08:42 AM
82-T/A
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting ready to do my timing belt job...

Hey guys,

Well, I'm making a checklist to do my timing belt and balancing shafts belt change... this is what I have so far: (84 944)

1 - All New Rollers
2 - Some seals / O-ring gaskets???
3 - Timing Belt
4 - Balance shafts belt
5 - Belt tensioner tool.

This is the tool that I have:

Is there anything else I need or that I SHOULD replace while I'm down there? Are those O-rings for the oil cooler? Is there anything I should be careful about when I remove it?

I assume everything is listed in my Haynes manual on how to align everything and do the entire job?

Thanks!!!

Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2004 Volkswagen Beetle Convertible (Wife's)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX-P74
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1984 Porsche 944
1981 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 (Olds 455)
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter
Old 10-26-2007, 08:47 AM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually I think the Haynes manual tells you how to replace the belt and then have it towed to a dealer to have the tensions set! Just what you need a manual for! Check Clarks garage for the missing info - I'd recommend you look at it anyway, I think it's a better writeup than Haynes.
"some seals/o-rings" doesn't really tell us what you've got, but they could well be for the balance shaft housings.
I think you should add a flywheel lock to your list if you don't have one.
Good Luck!
Randy
Old 10-26-2007, 08:50 AM
82-T/A
Racer

Originally Posted by AlpharettaRK
Actually I think the Haynes manual tells you how to replace the belt and then have it towed to a dealer to have the tensions set! Just what you need a manual for! Check Clarks garage for the missing info - I'd recommend you look at it anyway, I think it's a better writeup than Haynes.
"some seals/o-rings" doesn't really tell us what you've got, but they could well be for the balance shaft housings.
I think you should add a flywheel lock to your list if you don't have one.
Good Luck!
Randy

Thanks! I will, I saw them for sale on eBay. What do I need the flywheel lock for? I mean, is that just to keep the crank completely still while I line everything else up? Just to make it easier?

Thanks!

Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
1984 Porsche 944
Old 10-26-2007, 08:57 AM
82-T/A
Racer

By the way, is it possible for me to retro-fit this onto my 84 motor?

Thanks!

Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
1984 Porsche 944
Old 10-26-2007, 10:09 AM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Check Clarks garage for the missing info - I'd recommend you look at it anyway, I think it's a better writeup than Haynes.
Good advice. Here is the link if you don't have it (Clark's Garage). You might want to list your location. There is likely someone near you that has done this before and could help.

You will also need a thin 24 mm and/or thin 27 mm open end wrench and if you are doing the balance seals, you will need a pin wrench like the one in this kit. The flywheel lock is a very good thing to have, but not required to change your belts so long as you aren't turning the camshaft independent of the crankshaft or vise versa. If you are going after the balance shaft or cam seals, there are quite a few other things you can do "while your in there".
Old 10-26-2007, 03:08 PM
gstein
Instructor

It is possible to mount an auto tensioner on an old block, you would have to drill and mount studs in the existing posts on the block...good luck with that.
However, the auto tensioner is not the greatest idea in the first place. My machinist is fabricating a piece that blocks the tensioner gear from changing position thus preventing my belt from coming loose. My machinist is a well-experienced race engine builder and recommended I give him one of my older blocks (w/o auto tens) for him to build up. Also, to put that thing on an old block would be really tough, even for him.

Also, let me know if you need any tension values or anything else from the Workshop Manual.

Best Regards,
Benjamin Goldstein
Old 10-26-2007, 04:25 PM
Stien
Burning Brakes

You need the flywheel lock for when you undo the crankshaft pulley bolt and for when you put it on and torque it to ~210 Nm or whatever it is. You will need a torque wrench. Have you thought about doing the water pump? It is one those things you should do "while you're in there" if you don't know it's history because you only take off the belts every so often...
In addition to taking out the air box-Clark's directions-I took out my fan shroud-it made a lot of extra room. Be careful what you try to take off on the starter (if you get that flywheel lock), I damn near twisted off something nut shaped that wasn't supposed to.
Remember to write down how things come apart, it's a pain in the *** to figure out the distributor for the first time (was for me at least) and the balance shaft markings (not sure if yours have only the "0" like mine). Clarks garage is what I followed for my first time and it went pretty smoothly. (Now I'm just slowing reassembling everything because I live an hour away from my car lol.)
Hope any of these help, enjoy the project!
-Alex

Quick Reply: Getting ready to do my timing belt job...