Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to bleed w/power bleeder...getting nowhere

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007 | 11:12 PM
FSU944
Intermediate

Default Trying to bleed w/power bleeder...getting nowhere

87 NA

Have an issue where there is a shudder of the whole car when accelerating in first gear. Can slip it in second and no issues. Combined w/a one time occurrence of the clutch getting stuck halfway down and I figured maybe air had gotten in the system.

Anyway, hook up Motive power bleeder, open slave bleeder screw, and get pretty much all air, w/very little fluid spitting out. No matter how many times I repressurize the motive and open the bleed screw I get nothing but air.

Did a search for reasons....back end is jacked up to get rid of bubble, etc. Only other thing I noticed was small leak in the blue hose from reservoir to master cylinder. I could hear it when I pressurized to just past 15 psi. Is this enough to cause no fluid to come out at the slave cylinder???
Old 10-21-2007 | 11:47 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

You could HEAR the leak? That hose should be 100% full of brake fluid. If you're hearing it, I'm assuming you're hearing air (otherwise I guess you'd tell us you saw it leaking).

That's not good. Replace it. Not that it's necessarily your problem - the last time I couldn't bleed my clutch I ended up with a new master (which fixed it) and having to replace the slave not but 3 weeks later (which is why everyone tells you to replace them together).

But I'm still not sure how you'd have air in that line with a motive hooked up. Is the fluid reservoir (on the car) filled completely?
Old 10-21-2007 | 12:07 PM
shadowknight
Pro

Does the power bleeder pressurize and stay pressurized with the valves closed if not, check to see it you have the rubber insert on the small black screw top for your motive power bleeder if it's missing that might be your problem.
Old 10-21-2007 | 12:25 PM
FSU944
Intermediate

Yes, I hear air coming from the blue hose right near the reservoir. Surprised me also as I thought this should have fluid in it also. Definitely will replace. I filled fluid to almost overflowing but it dropped to a set point (not far, maybe 3/4 inch) which leads me to believe there is a leak somewhere in the entire system. Looked but can't find it yet.

And just checked and the no I did not have the rubber insert in on the motive cap. Still in box. Will insert that also! Thanks!
Old 10-21-2007 | 12:36 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

With the power bleeder doing it's thing, pump the peday once or twice. I've had to do this on several cars when bleeding the slave to get al the air out.
Old 10-21-2007 | 03:25 PM
FSU944
Intermediate

***Update***

Just found the leak in the blue hose. I hear air also, but there is fluid soaking the bottom of the hose now. And it's Sun, so can't run to dealer on the off chance they would have it.

Should I just order online and be out of commission for a few days or are there other options?
Old 10-21-2007 | 06:29 PM
marky522
Drifting

Dealer probably wont have it either, at least if you order it from a rep place it should ship ASAP tomorrow.

Mark
Old 10-22-2007 | 01:01 PM
FSU944
Intermediate

Well after reading the warnings about breaking off the nipple on the reservoir, I did it anyway getting the hose off. Decided to just go all out and replace master cylinder, rebuild slave, and new reservoir of course. Along w/flush of system and should be good to go w/no lingering questions.

Quick Reply: Trying to bleed w/power bleeder...getting nowhere