Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pre-funk lubrication

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007 | 04:28 PM
jbob
Racer

Default pre-funk lubrication

i just got an 87 924S that has low miles, but seems to not have been driven that much in recent years. the wiper died right after i bought it. makes be think that i might want to lubricate elsewhere.

since im going to be lubing the heck out of the wiper assembly to avoid blowing a used motor i am putting in, are there any other places where some cleaning/lube would do some good.

my plan was just to use silicon spray and lithium grease. a better way to do this?

am loving the car btw - and wolfe and mike from rennlist here in seattle have been good first porsche friends

thanks

also making an order on pelican for the basics - is there a secret trick to installing the front hood shocks - i think i heard somewhere theyre a pain to put in
Old 10-17-2007 | 05:08 PM
jpk
Burning Brakes

I'd look at lubing up the headlight mechanism as well.

I just read a suggestion on installing the shocks - put them in the freezer for a while, then you can compress them and they'll be very slow to respond; should give you enough time to get the pins in. Although I've never tried it, sounds like it might be worth a shot.
Old 10-17-2007 | 05:10 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jbob
is there a secret trick to installing the front hood shocks - i think i heard somewhere theyre a pain to put in
Bring a friend and a hood support(broom handle, etc). One person compresses the hood shock, the other puts in the bolt. Supporting the hood, compressing the shock and putting in the bolt all by yourself is a pain. BTDT!
Old 10-17-2007 | 05:27 PM
jbob
Racer

thats what i was thinking also. would hate to lose one of those

as far as lubing the headlight assembly, any tips/links to covering my bases. doing this and other types of maint.

is there any way to get scanned/pdf shop manual pages?
Old 10-17-2007 | 09:43 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Hmm. I don't think mine has ever had a re-lube of the wiper mechanism (original wiper motor) It's an85 w/ 240,000 miles, I got it in 88 with 40,000. Not a bad idea though..
Old 10-18-2007 | 12:56 AM
jbob
Racer

i found a place online that sells rebuilt wiper motors for 79 bones. theres a 25 core charge which will be refunded when i ship them the dead motor. was cheaper than the 222 i saw for a new one elsewhere, and god knows what would be on the bill from my local shop, god bless them. excited to do my first easy repairs on this thing, take it in for a tune up, and see what i really have.

on another note, there is a funny subtle high pitched hum (sounds like an alternator or something spinning very fast) when i first start the car in the morning until it is warm.

there is also a funny tone when i turn the wheels. i just added some power steering fluid, so we'll see if that was the answer. i couldnt see the mark, so i added just a little bit. is there an opaque bit where i can see the line, or is it just roughly add some and check the dipstick?

the car is very happy sounding when warmed up, and i am very much enjoying the experience.

any Seattle people want to chime in on good places to get the oil changed. short on time and have to use friends garages for repairs, so a reasonable place would be good to know. have been told to go 20-50 oil. bought a couple of porsche brand oil filters, will those be ok for around town?

also: is xerex phosphate free antifreeze going to work?

Quick Reply: pre-funk lubrication