Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I did something stupid that could have killed me...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 12:22 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

About a year ago, a young guy in my town was crushed under a car he was working on at home. Hours later he was found by his wife - and his few-week-old baby.

I'll tell my story now (it's not that bad in comparison) - sometimes, when I lower my 944 on the lift, one of the front springs fails to seat properly on the perch. I lowered the car until the wheels had just touched, then walked over to the front, reached my arm between the tire and the car to give the spring a twist so it would pop onto the perch. Well, I didn't think that, when the spring jumped onto the perch, the fender was going to move down.

Next thing I know, my arm is trapped between the top of the wheel and the fender. I was trapped! I couldn't pull it out. The harder I pulled, the more it hurt. I started calling for my wife - luckily she heard me and came out... and I had to sheepishly ask her to press the button on the lift.

Imagine what it would have been like if she wasn't home... or if I had to wait many hours... or, maybe I could have pulled really hard and injured myself???
Old 05-04-2011, 01:29 AM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, by reading these stories, I'm gonna spend the money and buy myself 4 ''good'' jack stands this weekend. Bought mine ''used'' last year, and there tiny.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:45 PM
Excelerate
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my cheap chinese jack fail and collapse completely earlier this year - thankfully I was lowering my car after a job and nobody was under or near the car. Unfortunately I know plenty of people who use only a jack with no stands. Moral of the story: Use a quality jack that is highly over-rated for your application, as well as more stands than you think you will need. I also started leaving my jack under the car while it's on stands, so that if the very unlikely happens and the 4 truck stands I started using fail, someone can raise the car quickly.

Quick Reply: So I did something stupid that could have killed me...