Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I just cant get no respect- 86 951

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007 | 08:35 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Yellowline, I have to disagree with you. The 944 is a much better balanced and handling car than a stock similar year 911 and in the case of a 951 is faster in S form. I would say that I think the 951 should go up in some time.

I think it is an absolutely wonderful car.
Old 09-22-2007 | 08:41 PM
DMB14
Racer

At least they're not going down in value anymore.
Old 09-22-2007 | 09:56 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by black944 turbo
Yellowline, I have to disagree with you. The 944 is a much better balanced and handling car than a stock similar year 911 and in the case of a 951 is faster in S form. I would say that I think the 951 should go up in some time.

I think it is an absolutely wonderful car.
It is a good car.

I'm just saying that there's nowhere for the general 951 market to go. The 911 has the mystique, everyone recognizes it, Jeremy Clarkson couldn't kill one, etc. 951s will never be the Porsche to buy.

Putting the 951 price market at a different level, there are other cars out there that people will gravitate to. For those who want a cheap exotic, I think the 308 or a 911 would be the cars to get. For people just wanting performance, there are plenty of WRX/Evos, with warranties. A nice original Silver Rose/plaid 951S will hold value in its novelty, but that's about it.
Old 09-23-2007 | 05:50 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
Once the numbers of 944s still on active duty falls below the number of 911s they should make money
Um...........You should look at the production #'s. There are more 911's.
Old 09-23-2007 | 03:36 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Sorry but when you bought and sold thousand+ cars, there is no mystique to any car because its just a piece of machinery. Its only mysterious to the amateur. The 80s 911 sounds like crap to me and looks like nothing spectacular except for the 930 especially the slantnose (probably because it looks more like the 951). I have never bought one not because I can't afford one or five and will only buy a 87-89 930 if the right deal comes along. I will buy a Ferrari 328 before a 930 as a personal car not because its faster or handles better but because it looks like a piece of art to me. I also think the 951 looks much better than the same year non turbo 911 thus the reason why I own and drive them. I think its lack of self confidence/self esteem that drives one has to buy something which appeals to other people. I drive what is appealing to ME and that is all I care about. I also could care less about most ignorants thinking $40k+ back in the late 80s was for a poorman when you can almost buy 2 corvettes or 4 Honda accords for that price. If anything killed the 944 series is because it was overpriced.

BTW, Mazda paid Porsche to use the 944 bodystyle back in the 80s. RX7s look like the 944s and not the other way around. The transaxle design was also used by corvettes because its a superior design for balance and crash safety. Its for this reason my next series of hobby cars will be the C5 vette.

I am glad people like 911s. That way it keeps the prices down for the 944/951s and its the reason I have a bunch of them sitting around the house.
Old 09-23-2007 | 03:42 PM
lvkid76
Advanced

One doesnt matter what anyone sells, two to a real car enthusiast it doesnt matter what porsche it is or what station waggon it is. A true car lover can appreciate any thing that has been kept up in good order. I went to a car show yesterday with the wife and saw a 80s toyota corolla. It was clean.... plus no matter what, with any car....there only worth what someone will pay for it. I think my 68 camaro would only go for about 12, and My wife and I just bough a 57 chevy, probably worth 30 to 40 but not what I paid for it. Just like houses.
Old 09-23-2007 | 04:19 PM
Shabba
Racer

While a higher value for the 944 series is good for investors or salesman, how many of us really buy cars for that reason? I don't. Part of the beauty of being a '44 owner is that I am able to own a P-car that, while very different than a 911, is a very, very unique car that is so rewarding to drive and own. I'm happy that they are still affordable and parts are still (relatively) available and somwhat within the realm of affordability. I also don't see myself at every stop sign and every parking lot. As much as I love the 911, I see them quite often, especially when compared to the 944. I'm PROUD of the fact that the 944 is different than the 911. It's an affordable car that retains a lot of its uniqueness BECAUSE it's affordable. I don't want my car being a $20k car and having to compete with cars like the EVO or WRX...
Old 09-23-2007 | 09:16 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

I love my car, plain and simple. And yellowline, if the sole reason you own your 944 is for the "novelty" of it, IMHO you're owning it for the wrong reasons.

Sure, there is a bit of novelty to it, but honestly there's more novelty to the AMC Pacer than there was to the 944. As much as I find it hard to believe that my 951 only cost me $5500 in near-perfect running condition (yes, it was a steal), it has allowed me to own a car with one of the most "striking personalities" ever produced. I am the type of guy, who, if I don't own an already interesting, good looking, and fun car, will be forced to try to make things interesting for myself. For example, my 2005 Chevy Cavalier. A friggin' turnip had more personality than that piece of crap and as a result, I had to drive significantly over the speed limit in order to get any satisfaction from driving it (and it still wasn't much). Not a good thing.

Now, I can drive my car at the damn speed limit all day because the car's interesting on its own. The vast majority of people who've heard of Porsche only know of the 911; the 944 or especially 951 are a total mystery to them. And I love that. I've had a salesman at the local Porsche dealer do a doubletake and then say "wait -- that's a Porsche?" I told him he was an idiot.

Only the most hardcore of enthusiasts would say an '86 911 is better looking than a 951, IMO. In a blind test, I'd wager most would say the 951 is a much better-looking car.

Jesus, when did my post end up being a rant? Ah well, sorry if I rubbed anyone the wrong way...
Old 09-23-2007 | 10:44 PM
Naplesguy06
Racer

I pull in to Naples Porsche and the old farts there with the cash come out to see MY 86 951, forget about the 997 and the caymans/boxters for 80,000 plus, and you are right the salesguy doesnt know what to comment on, he only knows it's a Porsche due to the cloisonne on the front hood, how awful is that? Why do you think I cant go to the dealer for performance upgrades, they are out of touch with current reality.I will be lucky if they correctly do the belts/rollers and pump, btw if anyone in South florida can refer me to a seasoned 944 mechanic I need my tbelts and rollers/pump done,
Old 09-23-2007 | 11:01 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

No offense, but if you bought a 944 or even a 951 as an investment, you need your head examined

There are very very few cars out there that can be purchased as investments (ie can be sold for more than purchase price + upkeep), and they mostly have names like "Ferrari" and "Rolls Royce" (and not even all Ferraris, Bentleys, Rolls, etc will appreciate).

I hope that the value on my 924S goes up, and based on ebay, it looks like 924 values are going up, but at a rate nowhere near the rate at which I'm spending money on the car
Old 09-23-2007 | 11:07 PM
Naplesguy06
Racer

I am not saying it is an "investment" but lets face it, who is doing who the favor here? the car sold in 1989 for almost $50,000, if it where an investment by now I would be expecting at a 7 percent annual return $70,000 back on my $50,000 investment. However,7,8,9,12,$13,000 for a low mileage car with all original conditions and superb maintenance? somebody call the police and report a grand larceny in effect! people stop giving your cars away and the prices will steadily climb as others go to the dismantlers.
Old 09-23-2007 | 11:11 PM
leedog
Advanced

There is no one size fits all description to tell why one person favors one car over another. I wanted a Porsche, and a present the 944 was all I could afford. Sure its only an NA, but its beautiful, clean and a pure joy to drive. It may not be fast in a straight line but if i wanted that I would have gotten a Supra for the same price and 3x the horsepower. It is kind of depressing to hear turbo owners beat up the NA because people mistake their turbo for a slow NA. Wouldn't you like it if you could impress people with how fast your NA was (turbo being mistaken for the NA). But I'd rather have a fun to drive NA that I can take out anytime I want to than a turbo for the same price that never runs. The 944 is a hell of a car no matter what the trim level is.

Sorry, I guess that turned into a rant: Oops!
Old 09-23-2007 | 11:26 PM
CARNEXUS
Instructor

LOL no $#!%. If you are going to truly own a car and not sell it a year or two later do it because you love it. My 951 is the second car that I’m willing to put money in to. All the other cars that I have kept for a while I bought already done, than sold them. This is the first car that really pulled me in that much (that is why I have my 75 TA on the back burner). Maybe because my neighbor had one when I was in high school and I use to just look at it wishing I can afford one, or it could be that it is truly one of the most gratifying cars I have driven.
Old 09-23-2007 | 11:37 PM
CARNEXUS
Instructor

Originally Posted by white924s
No offense, but if you bought a 944 or even a 951 as an investment, you need your head examined

There are very very few cars out there that can be purchased as investments (ie can be sold for more than purchase price + upkeep), and they mostly have names like "Ferrari" and "Rolls Royce" (and not even all Ferraris, Bentleys, Rolls, etc will appreciate).

I hope that the value on my 924S goes up, and based on ebay, it looks like 924 values are going up, but at a rate nowhere near the rate at which I'm spending money on the car
Originally Posted by leedog
There is no one size fits all description to tell why one person favors one car over another. I wanted a Porsche, and a present the 944 was all I could afford. Sure its only an NA, but its beautiful, clean and a pure joy to drive. It may not be fast in a straight line but if i wanted that I would have gotten a Supra for the same price and 3x the horsepower. It is kind of depressing to hear turbo owners beat up the NA because people mistake their turbo for a slow NA. Wouldn't you like it if you could impress people with how fast your NA was (turbo being mistaken for the NA). But I'd rather have a fun to drive NA that I can take out anytime I want to than a turbo for the same price that never runs. The 944 is a hell of a car no matter what the trim level is.

Sorry, I guess that turned into a rant: Oops!

In my other post I was not trying to say NAs are bad cars but there are way too many of them. And the average person can not distinguish between an NA and a Turbo. There for the prices will not go up until the public is aware of the defenses, and realize how rare an 89/90 951’s are, ore that there are less then 20 89 S2 cabs in the country. I always say if the car you are driving gives you the chills when you hammer it down, than you are driving the right car for you. It can be a Pinto for all I care just as long as you enjoy it.
Old 09-23-2007 | 11:40 PM
Naplesguy06
Racer

Leedog, I diddnt mean to imply the N/A is any less of a 944 than the turbo. I know they both have thier advantages and thier disadvantages, especially with repair cost and reliability. I think that whenever I see a 944, no matter what condition I look at it, nodody else seems to notice it but I do, maybe because I am 38 years old and first saw the car in 16 candles. I wanted the car with the blonde inside wearing a thong.Anyways, it's all good 924,944,951,968, were all family.

Quick Reply: I just cant get no respect- 86 951