Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the "saving your car the macgyver way" thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 12:21 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anybody have any new Macgyver tricks?
Old 05-20-2008, 01:09 PM
DJCarbine
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had excessive oil blowby/smoke under WOT above 4k RPM.

Knew the compression was good, and that it most likely wasn't blowing past the rings. Took off the J boot for the intake, and there was standing oil in there. Knew it was the AOS, however did not feel like putting out money for a plastic peice that looked intact.

Took it apart, and noticed that the upper portion was just open. Common sense says that there should be an element to actually do some air oil seperating, and this is just letting the oil be sucked into the intake tract and causing spy hunter type smoke screens behind the car.

Got some steel wool
Cracked open the AOS without damaging it too much. Stuffed steel wool in the top portion of the AOS, secured it with zipties.
Re-sealed the AOS top back on
Re-installed the AOS

Solved the problem. The oil fumes hit the steel wool and collect and drip back down into the oil pan. Sort of like the breather elements on old V8's.

Maybe thats just completely wrong, but it worked!
Old 05-20-2008, 01:48 PM
aben8057
Drifting

Non-Pcar related:
The summer of 2000 me and 4 of my friends where driving to the beach when all of a sudden we heard ratatatatata and the people in the next lane staring at us. If you are from NJ you are aware of the traffic on the weekend going to the beach nevertheless, we pulled over and the hangers holding the exhaust deteriorated. The exhaust from the mid section all the way back was hanging on the ground. No tools and no parts..
I asked my friend to remove his shoe laces where we managed to hold up the exhaust just enough to get to a parts store, where we purchased wire for the ride to and back from the beach.

P-car related:
With the price of gas so high, me and my friends filled up a drum for our DE events. We had an event at VIR in late April where we filled up the drum half way. Our next event was at Pocono on May 3rd. So I was first to get gas from the drum and after filling it, the car died no more that 5 feet from the drum. Tried to start it up...nada
Panic steps in, WTF
So after walking around and gathering myself, then normal diagnosis seps kick in.
Check spark after the spark plug wire...OK
Check air...no loose hoses...OK
Fuel...pull off the nipple at the end of the fuel rail...FAIL
It looks like water got into the drum and diluted the fuel enought o stall
So here we are, first session didnt go off and in panic mode, luckily the fog delayed the first run group for 1 hour.
So the objective was to siphon out all the gas, started to go through the garbage and found a long hose, empty gas cans (Ducati club had the track previously) and used the pump from the drum. We used some duct tape to connect the hose and the pump and started to siphon away.
Purged the system until it was completely empty at the fuel rail, then drove off to the gas station just enough to get fuel in the car to drive back.
Missed my first session but enjoyed the rest of the event...

Last edited by aben8057; 05-20-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:01 PM
eniac
Drifting

Here's one of mine from late summer last year...

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=19859
Old 05-20-2008, 07:41 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 4001
On an extremely cold night (-8*) my door lock decided to seize up while at a chipotle, making me unable to close the drivers side door to drive home. Tried heating the lock with a lighter and spraying in de-icer, didnt work. Eventually I took off my sun roof, rolled the window down, and secured the door between the window and body with my belt and shoelaces. Driving 5 minutes in those temps with the sunroof off and the window down was no fun.
That happened to me once. I put the window down and held the door shut with my arm. Couldn't go too fast on right handers, even on the highway, as the weight of the door would overcome my strenght and starting swinging open.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:53 PM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

I was driving along awhile back when my hatch pins broke. I went over the crest of a hill and heard this *WHOOOOOOO THUNK Thunk thunk*. When I looked in my rear view mirror I saw the hatch bouncing up and down.

I took some electrical wire that was hanging out of the dash and tied the hatch shock down to the rest of the car. Kept the hatch down the whole way home.

Quick Reply: the "saving your car the macgyver way" thread