Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch trouble - help with diagnosis please

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007 | 04:12 PM
Highway T
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Clutch trouble - help with diagnosis please

I've owned her for 5 years without a problem and now I'm getting her ready to sell she does the dirty on me.

I have started having intermittent clutch problems, not releasing from gear at speed and sometimes (not always) failing to go in gear. I recently bled the brakes so I naturally suspected air had got in the clutch system even though the pedal came back to the top OK (I know the clutch normally sticks down if there is a lot of air in there).

I have bled the clutch but still have the same problem. The clutch pedal seems a little lighter to press than before and I can feel a transition after approx 1 inch depression (the spring loading perhaps?).

Since this all started so soon after bleeding the brakes I suspect air is still in the system. What do you think?

Any tips on bleeding? I am using a pressurised bleeder and pumping the pedal.

Chris

P.S. This is a US spec car that I imported into the UK when I came back.
Old 09-16-2007 | 05:41 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Had this happen on my brother's car - turns out we had to replace master/slave cylinders. On his car, they were suspect and the flushing process just pushed them over the edge into failure......
Old 09-23-2007 | 05:33 AM
Highway T
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, did the seals actually leak or was it just impossible to bleed the system?

Cheers,

Chris
Old 09-23-2007 | 09:49 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey;

There are times when a highly worn cylinder will be pushed over the edge- as Sharky says - by manual bleeding. Pumping the seals through unfamiliar areas of the bore of the cylinder can find a wear ridge and take out the seals.

I have found that I do not get a good clutch bleed unless the cylinder is compressed when I crack the bleed screw open. Bleeding it with the pedal up (clutch engaged) does not work. I do it by myself most times, which is a bit of a pain. I pump the pedal by hand, prop it to the floor with a broom handle jammed into the seat cushion, then crawl under and crack the screw open. Never fails.

Experiencing heavy drag going into or out of gears wth the clutch fully depressed (dissengaged) can mean a failing cylinder, but it is also a sign that your pressure plate is failing. The fingers on the diaphram spring are starting to collapse.

The best thing to do is bleed, of course. Next is to replace the cylinders. Just don't count on that solving the problem. It may if you are lucky. You know what comes next if you are not.
Old 09-23-2007 | 11:26 AM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Broom handle good, toilet plunger wedged between seat and pedal good too.

Quick Reply: Clutch trouble - help with diagnosis please