Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crack in exhaust manifold

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 10:11 PM
DMB14
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crack in exhaust manifold

I just got my car back from the shop after a MAJOR service, and somehow it developed a crack in the exhaust manifold while it was at the shop. I know they basically took my car apart from head to toe, and **** happens sometimes. So I'm not really mad at the mechanic, but this problem is just causing concern.

When I reach about 1500 revs in neutral I hear a slight rattle-like sound coming from the exhaust that disappears by 2000. When I hit 4000 there are some serious vibrations felt in the gear lever and a scary noise coming from the gear lever and the area around it. My ashtray was vibrating a ton, and removing it helps with the sound a little, but you can still feel the vibrations. If you fly right past 4000 you barely notice anything strange.

Should I be concerned? Several of the mechanics at the shop own 944s and say it's their favorite car, so I definitely trust them and I think they did a great job on the whole. They mechanic said I can give them a ride in the car tomorrow so they can see what's up.

Anyway, after this big service ($3500, I had a TON of stuff done) the car feels more powerful and sounds mean as hell.

Also the crack in the exhaust or whatever sometimes produces this really badass growl, but usually just scary sounds and annoying vibrations...

So does this sound like a major problem?
The mechanic said they should be able to weld it shut (it's only about 1/2" long), but also that I shouldn't really worry about it until I need to get emissions tested.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:35 PM
leedog
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would get it fixed just to cure the vibrations. I had a rattle in the exhaust i put on my car, and it drove me crazy. It just doesn't sound healthy when it rattles like hell.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:11 AM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

A couple of questions:

1. Did any of your "major service" include a clutch?

2. Is this a turbo or NA 944?

3. What - besided the bad vibrations - leads you to believe yolu have an exhaust leak and then specifically a cracked header.

Last edited by Matt Sheppard; 09-12-2007 at 01:09 AM.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:57 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a good set of early headers available nice and cheap if you need them.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:30 AM
DMB14
Racer

Originally Posted by Matt Sheppard
A couple of questions:

1. Did any of your "major service" include a clutch?

2. Is this a turbo or NA 944?

3. What - besided the bad vibrations - leads you to believe yolu have an exhaust leak and then specifically a cracked header.
1. They flushed the clutch hydraulic system, not sure what that means but the clutch is still original I think.

2. NA

3. The mechanic said that I've got a crack. I'm pretty sure it happened in the shop, it wasn't rattling or making these noises beforehand.

Originally Posted by schwank
I have a good set of early headers available nice and cheap if you need them.
Thanks, but I'm not sure it's necessary. The mechanic said they can weld the crack cheaply if I want them to and that it's very small.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:57 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DMB14
I know they basically took my car apart from head to toe, and **** happens sometimes.
Collateral damage... So difficult to prove, yet so annoying, frustrating and expensive!
Old 09-12-2007, 09:53 AM
Mamooguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wound a crack in the manifold cause the vibrations? Can you see the crack?

I had similar problems and it turned out to just be a bad gasket or two where the manifold meets the Y-pipe. Simple and easy to fix (and cheap). I do kinda miss that snarl, tho.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:00 AM
caster951
Three Wheelin'

If this happened in the shop, then the welding to fix the crack should be super cheap, as in FREE.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:06 PM
DMB14
Racer

Originally Posted by Mamooguy
Wound a crack in the manifold cause the vibrations? Can you see the crack?

I had similar problems and it turned out to just be a bad gasket or two where the manifold meets the Y-pipe. Simple and easy to fix (and cheap). I do kinda miss that snarl, tho.
Well the mechanic said they found a small crack, I haven't looked.

Originally Posted by caster951
If this happened in the shop, then the welding to fix the crack should be super cheap, as in FREE.
Bingo! I would feel bad if I accuse them of anything though, the guy I've been talking to is really nice. I might just leave it the way it is for a while...
Old 09-12-2007, 06:32 PM
cie_lab
Billowing in the Wind
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DMB14
Well the mechanic said they found a small crack, I haven't looked.

Bingo! I would feel bad if I accuse them of anything though, the guy I've been talking to is really nice. I might just leave it the way it is for a while...
lemme tell you about nice guys. They're nice because the give good service and have pride in their work. I would be willing to bet if you suggested they weld it up, he'd be more than happy to do it for free.

Just a guess, if he really IS a nice guy.

Quick Reply: Crack in exhaust manifold