Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning grounds

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 12:43 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by peanut
... which ground the ECU and DME and those two are on the top chassis rail just forward of the relay/fusebox on later cars and the battery on earlier cars.
Are we sure about this? I thought the DME ground was on the bell housing, right beside the main battery ground, at least on late cars.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:16 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where are the grounds for the gauges. Mine are all whacked out. I have cleaned headlight area, all the way in the rear hatch, inside the battery tray. What else is there besides the gauges and bellhousing?
Old 08-03-2010, 09:24 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

The gauges ground at two points under the driver's side of the dash, along with most interior electronics. You'll have to recline your seat, then put your head where the pedals are to see them.

Techno Duck started a good thread with pictures of all the non-bell housing grounds. The back of the gauge cluster also has contacts which can benefit from cleaning.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:50 AM
Strike-Force
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My instrument Cluster just started to not work at all, should I pull it out and make sure everything is connected tight and clean grounds? Any other tips?
Old 08-04-2010, 12:56 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

If your instrument cluster was fine, then suddenly stopped, I would guess that you've blown a fuse. Does everything else in the cabin still work?
Old 08-04-2010, 12:58 AM
Strike-Force
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything else still works, yea. It had been intermittent where it wouldn't work until after it warmed up, but now it doesn't work at all.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:48 PM
t3rra
Instructor

Hi, is the bell housing ground, the one behind the engine block against the fire wall? (uk spec car)

Thanks
Old 09-20-2010, 07:06 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pontifex4
Are we sure about this? I thought the DME ground was on the bell housing, right beside the main battery ground, at least on late cars.
on late Euro cars the battery is in the boot not under the bonnet like early pre 1986 cars
GPl is the ground for the fuel pump
GPll and GPlll are grounds for the ECU and DME
GPlX & GPX is the chassis to engine earth strap
Attached Images  

Last edited by peanut; 09-21-2010 at 08:47 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:24 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

check the workshop manual and don't guess ...then you'll know where it is.
GPl is the ground for the fuel pump
GPll and GPlll are grounds for the ECU and DME
GPlX & GPX is the chassis to engine earth strap
Sorry, was that directed at me? I know very well where they are on a non-UK car: I was politely questioning the post I quoted at the top of this page.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:36 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pontifex4
Sorry, was that directed at me? I know very well where they are on a non-UK car: I was politely questioning the post I quoted at the top of this page.
if the battery on late cars is near the bell housing they must be built different to the Euro cars in your part of the world. Anyway the DME and ECU are not likely to be grounded through the bell housing are they ?
The battery is grounded on the chassis in all cars and every electrical component is also .

Last edited by peanut; 09-21-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:51 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you think that the battery on late cars is near the bell housing they must be built different to the Euro cars in your part of the world. Anyway the DME and ECU are not likely to be grounded through the bell housing are they ?
The battery is grounded on the chassis in all cars and every electrical component is also .

Sorry, going to have to tell you to do your research before you try to tell someone there wrong. Battery does in fact ground to the bellhousing, and also to the body immediately next to the battery. And yes again, the DME harness does in fact also ground to the engine.

Mark
Old 09-20-2010, 08:44 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by marky522
Sorry, going to have to tell you to do your research before you try to tell someone there ?wrong. Battery does in fact ground to the bellhousing, and also to the body immediately next to the battery. And yes again, the DME harness does in fact also ground to the engine.

Mark
of course the engine and gearbox is connected to the battery . No-one suggested otherwise. All cars are except plastic ones

The battery's primary connection is to the chassis not the transmission this is because the majority of the cars components are bolted or connected to the chassis not the engine and gearbox.

The engine and gearbox is connected to the chassis at various points so that components bolted to the transmission are also connected to the battery negative.However the tyransmission is not the primary negative ground.
I wonder if you appreciate the distinction ?
Old 09-20-2010, 10:06 PM
marky522
Drifting

of course the engine and gearbox is connected to the battery . No-one suggested otherwise. All cars are except plastic ones

The battery's primary connection is to the chassis not the transmission this is because the majority of the cars components are bolted or connected to the chassis not the engine and gearbox.

The engine and gearbox is connected to the chassis at various points so that components bolted to the transmission are also connected to the battery negative.However the tyransmission is not the primary negative ground.
I wonder if you appreciate the distinction ?
I understand the distinction very well, but i dont believe you do.

OK, let me break this down for you as i see you arent understanding it... If i could write it in Crayon for you as i do my children i would...

The negative terminal on a Porsche 944 Has 2 (TWO) leads coming off the ground side of the battery (-) one of these TWO(2) leads (wires) goes about 8(Estimate) inches to the body where it grounds for the electronics as you state. The Second Lead (Wire) goes through a nice little hole in the cowl to the Engine and is bolted to the bellhousing area. I would LOVE for you to enlighten me as to where these Ground points from the drivetrain to the body are? As i have been over 100% of my car and MANY others, I know of the bellhousing ground...

Now if you wanted to compare this to lets say a new 911, you would be correct, there is only 1 (one) ground (-) lead that goes directly to the body, but as i have stated above that is NOT (Not) the case here, as there are 2 (TWO) ground leads.

I hope that clears everything up for you, and clarifies the "Distinction" you were looking for

Mark
Old 09-20-2010, 10:12 PM
marky522
Drifting

LOL!!! I now see why you dont understand... Your battery is in the rear I assume?

Mark
Old 09-21-2010, 04:47 AM
peanut
Burning Brakes

well we'll have to work together to solve the mystery of where the DME and ECU ground points GPll & GPlll are on ROW cars and Euro cars as they may well be in different places as are the batteries apparently

Last edited by peanut; 09-21-2010 at 08:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Cleaning grounds