Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 s2 cab VS boxster 2.5

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 11:00 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

freind has a 68, awsome!

but still very s2 looking.. (not that thats bad)

maybe a 68 cab, but there getting rare. of course there heavier, so would prolly be not as powerfull than the 68 coupe

Originally Posted by Dan87951
They are both fun cars to drive. Personally I think the 944S2 is a better built car and feels a little pepper compared to a base 2.5ltr boxster. If your itching for more power give a 968 6 speed a drive. I actually almost a bought a 968 Cab in TX but another guy beat me to it before I could get the deposit off to the dealer. They're nice cars. Not a huge improvement over the S2 but more refined. Now if you had money for a boxster S I would go that route all the way!
Old 08-14-2007, 11:03 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

see I simply dont understand this

First the 924's are AUDI's
Then my S2 isn't a real Porsche its an Audi
now a Boxster, isnt a real Porsche

yep boxsters are all over. and 4 sure S2's are a lot rarer,

and the cabs do deceieve some as it dont look like the 944's when the tops down.

have had the odd comment

"nice Ferrari man !"

Originally Posted by Wipeout
S2! What was it Clarkson said...something like "a Boxster says 'I can't afford to own a 911'". It tries to look like a 911 but it isn't. Why I dislike the looks of the 996 so much. Besides, you see Boxsters everywhere, I've yet to see an S2 in public. S2 is rarer and way cooler. I'm biased, though.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:27 PM
bluedevil
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I hear this all the time and yes even at the 2007 Porsche parade in San Diego us 944 and 968 guys were only one step above the Cayenne. I know the parts in allot of these cars are Audi but the day I can go to an Audi dealer and they will have my parts and know my car mechanically is the day I admit I am not driving a Porsche. These are Porsches, they hold the titles, they make the races and in their day held the top titles. I like to think the people who own a 944 or 968 know they are driving cars that in the 80's were considered some of the best performing cars for their time and I would say even now for the money, not just so they can say they are driving a Porsche.

With that said here is something else to think about, the Boxster is a mid engine car and every PORSCHE Mechanic (notice I did not type Audi) that I talk to about the Boxster says it is a bear to work on and not well built. I hate to admit this but my first car was a Fiero (crap but hey not my call) which was a mid engine car also and trying to work on it was about a simple as washing a cat.

Boxters are fun and great cars if you have the money but if you’re looking for performance, room, and well supported after market car I would go with the S2.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:06 PM
nickg
Three Wheelin'

i think that there are some biased people here. Personally, I think the 986 is a better car. Having had several s2 cabs, i can tell you that they are worthless when it comes to resale. People here sdeem to think that these are priceless, but none of them are buyers..just internet dreamers. rock bouight his car from me, sans drivetrain (he swapped the turbo in) his car would be great, but he is not the rule, but the exception. The tops are VERY prone to breaking...ask me how i know(i still have 3 spare tops in my basem,ent) and yea, i do know how they are treated, there are several problem areas in the top. b pillars are junk, the drive cables are junk. buy a s2 cab and you best make sure you disable the power top, that is the only way to avoid a costly repair.(968 too) the 968 is a different kind of car, much less truck like, much better handling, and undoubtedly much more common. think of it as a modern 914/6, with air and heat. Parts are cheap and the car seems to be built as good or better than any 944 i have seen(and i have seen ALOT, having parted out over 100)
Bottom line, the s2 is a good car, but not a modern one, the 986 is not everyone's favorite, but drive both and decide for yourself.
Value wise, the s2 is not on the bottom yet. I had and sold 3 s2 cabbies in the last year, ranging from nearly perfect with 90k miles fully documented, to a car that had a broken cam belt. none copuild be sold for anything near what these guys say they are worth, less than half is what i got. The mint one sold for less than 7000 and the 91 sold to rock for like $3000. I have yet to see a boxster with a blown motor sell less than 8000....(even 97-99)
you guys can disagree all you want, but that is my experience
Old 08-14-2007, 02:10 PM
nickg
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bluedevil
Ok, I hear this all the time and yes even at the 2007 Porsche parade in San Diego us 944 and 968 guys were only one step above the Cayenne. I know the parts in allot of these cars are Audi but the day I can go to an Audi dealer and they will have my parts and know my car mechanically is the day I admit I am not driving a Porsche. These are Porsches, they hold the titles, they make the races and in their day held the top titles. I like to think the people who own a 944 or 968 know they are driving cars that in the 80's were considered some of the best performing cars for their time and I would say even now for the money, not just so they can say they are driving a Porsche.

With that said here is something else to think about, the Boxster is a mid engine car and every PORSCHE Mechanic (notice I did not type Audi) that I talk to about the Boxster says it is a bear to work on and not well built. I hate to admit this but my first car was a Fiero (crap but hey not my call) which was a mid engine car also and trying to work on it was about a simple as washing a cat.

Boxters are fun and great cars if you have the money but if you’re looking for performance, room, and well supported after market car I would go with the S2.
ignorance is bliss....boxsters are very easy to work on.Easier in fact than a 944
Old 08-14-2007, 02:22 PM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Sorry but they are most def. not worthless to sell, it depends on a lot of factors.

Like any car, treat it like a dog with no paperwork, you get no resale.

Plenty of cabs here with decent resale.

So worthles,, no I dont think so.

Originally Posted by nickg
i think that there are some biased people here. Personally, I think the 986 is a better car. Having had several s2 cabs, i can tell you that they are worthless when it comes to resale.
You may have had bad experiences, but 3 cars out of how many 1000's sold ?
Awww Cmon anyway I don't actually need to ask, cos my eye's , own experiences and the experiences of many others (internet and real world) tells me otherwise.

You dont know how a car is treated UNLESS you've had it from new.. I'm assuming all 3 cars you owned from brand new ?

Why do you think Porsche protected the 944.. You can not put the hood up or down with the engine running ? Because ***** where driving along and trying to lower raise the top. DO that a few times from new and it will weaken thoes posts.

I've put an over ride in mine rather have a flat battery in mine

The Boxster is the opposite, manual says dont lower/raise roof "UNLESS" the engine is running, and I'm almost 95% certain the same applies to the 68, but can't be sure.

Have no plans to disable the power top, nor to advise people to do the same.

Porsche design is pretty damn good, but you cant account for the nuts that drive/use/abuse the cars

The tops are VERY prone to breaking...ask me how i know(i still have 3 spare tops in my basem,ent) and yea, i do know how they are treated, there are several problem areas in the top. b pillars are junk, the drive cables are junk. buy a s2 cab and you best make sure you disable the power top, that is the only way to avoid a costly repair.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:47 PM
Lumbergs Lackey....MmmmKay
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 19 Posts

Well I would put anybodys boxster including an S against my modified S2 Cab. plus you won't find a cleaner car than mine. People here know me and my car since I've been here so long.

and now that I've got a Supercharger project under way I'm not only going to be spanking Boxsters left and right, 911 guys had better watch out as well!

bottom line, you won't get super money for an S2 cab but if its decent shape and has papers you will get good money. And if I were to sell mine with the Supercharger I'd ask 17k. Its that clean and unique. Go to 944s2.com for pics of it in the Galeria. Its the white cab.

Punking down S2 cab owners. LOL
Old 08-14-2007, 02:57 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by adrian_jaye
Well,

what say you !

trade in the s2 for a boxster

The Boxster is only 200BHP, where as the s2 is 208
would you really notice 8BHP?

Classic square lines on the 44 I love, hence not too keen on the rouned 68

driveability, Performance, MPG, top down

I know the top down in the S2 is wicked, pretty sure the box is not that fab

ideas???

OR go for a

968 cab
944 turbo cab
What are your priorities?

Road vs Track?, Interior room?, Storage space?, Reliability?, Performance?, Maint costs?

It would be easier to help you decide if you could indicate your requirements.

Old 08-14-2007, 03:46 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I used to say the same things you guys are. "If I want a cab I will get an S2"
I loved my 944 and I still do! great car but I wanted the AC to work and I was looking forward to getting a Cab. The sound mine makes is incredible. seriously, the only downside is less space for hauling stuff. (I will never get an extra set of tires in the boxster!) for a 10 year newer Porsche with 50 more HP, working AC, less miles, eaiser to work on, etc. it was an easy choice for me. it did cost about 2x as much though, can't forget about that.

look at the clutch kit prices!
these are from a Porsche dealer. How much is a clutch kit for a 944T? ~2x as much if I remember correctly. guess which one is easier to change?

986 (‘00–’04) Sunset Price $347.61
986S Sunset Price $425.70

I will be doing my own work on this car so I will let you guys know if it is harder than a 944 to work on. however, I have had no fluids under the car, noises, strange guage behavior, etc so I have not even jacked it up since the inital inspection in June.
I will be doing the 60k service this fall.
Attached Images  
Old 08-14-2007, 04:02 PM
nickg
Three Wheelin'

there are definetly NOT thousands of s2 cabs...you may want to double check your figures.
Lumberg, for 17k, you will have it forever. the nice one i had was REALLY nice, new clutch all papers, 2 owner black on black all options (m030 car) and i could not touch what you think your's is worth. took months to sell and finally sold for less than half what you think your's is worth. I am happy you guys still have you inflated ego's here. Having sold 3...THREE in the last year, experience tells me otherwise. and if you have not heard of tops braeking, you are deaf...do a search here, pelican and on any 968 board and see. as i said ignorance is bliss
remember, you can "ask" whatever you think somethings worth, whether it sells is a whole different story.

Last edited by nickg; 08-14-2007 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:33 PM
bluedevil
Instructor

Tops do break, cars breakdown, people do stupid things and none of that is in question. Both cars are good cars and I would be happy to drive a Boxster vs. a 944 or 968 but the facts are the facts. If you don't take care of any car they will not take car of you.
What it all comes down to is what your looking for, track, daily driving, space, driving by yourself on weekends?
As I have said before I talked to mechanics who said they are hard to work on but as we see here in the posts above that must be wrong.
I personally do not make my decsions on a car by how well the convertable top works but hey if that is what gets you going great.
Also I think most of us buy the cars to enjoy or out of need to get from A to B. If your looking for return on investment then I would suggest you look at a honda or have a one off Foose design car that you can collect. If you want a car to enjoy and drive either is fine but I think I would stay in the 944/968 or hell spend the money and go 993.

Last edited by bluedevil; 08-14-2007 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:36 PM
nickg
Three Wheelin'

it's not roi...it is nice to be able to get parts.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:04 PM
bluedevil
Instructor

Ok, I will give you that on parts, it is hard to compare the cars on that subject since there are more Boxsters arround and they are a newer model versus the older supply of the S2 that are getting crushed and tosted. One would hope that if people support the 968 and 944 they will have the same following as the 914 and 356 but that is hope.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:54 PM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

My boxster was a 2.7 but still not much difference from the 2.5. In my experience the Boxster is much better than the S2 cab. It drives better, handles better, was more reliable. Try to autocross both...the Boxster is probably the best STOCK Porsche.

With all of this said, I find myself in a position to buy either a 987 or another 996; however, I think that I have decided to instead invest about $15K into my S2 cab. This will increase its value by about $1K, if you do the math it is not an ROI. There is something about the S2 cab that I just love. I bought this car in January for $12.6K so I must be nuts or the values are all over the board. Drive both and get what you want. If you care about what others think you will never be happy.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:32 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

OH FFS MAN :RTFM:

944S2 Cabriolet
Model Year Production Rest of World
1989 ? ? 16
1990 3938 2114 1824
1991 1702 1140 562
Totals 2402

So lets do the math,
1989 16
1990 3938
1991 1702
========
TOTAL 5656

US of which 2404 where in the US

Whats your definition of thousands then ?

As for ignorance, sorry bud you've already shown yours over and over,
so talking any further with you will make me a whole lot stupider
so I will cease forth with

there are definetly NOT thousands of s2 cabs...you may want to double check your figures.
Lumberg, for 17k, you will have it forever. the nice one i had was REALLY nice, new clutch all papers, 2 owner black on black all options (m030 car) and i could not touch what you think your's is worth. took months to sell and finally sold for less than half what you think your's is worth. I am happy you guys still have you inflated ego's here. Having sold 3...THREE in the last year, experience tells me otherwise. and if you have not heard of tops braeking, you are deaf...do a search here, pelican and on any 968 board and see. as i said ignorance is bliss
remember, you can "ask" whatever you think somethings worth, whether it sells is a whole different story.

Quick Reply: 944 s2 cab VS boxster 2.5