Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S2 sensor question

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 09:43 PM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2 sensor question

Okay so I am still having a hot start problem. So after replacing the ICM. I want to trouble shoot the speed and referance sensors. How the S2 has a Hall sender and a reference sensor. Can someone confirm its a reference sensor and not a speed sensor. If Im right I believe the hall sender replaces the speed sensor? correct?
Old 08-09-2007, 11:09 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm receiving my new Bosch ICM tuesday, and hopefully this fixes it. My original looked nasty when I seperated it from the aluminum plate. The white silicone grease was all brown and nasty.

On my '91, there's only a reference sensor. There's a hole for a speed sensor, but not one present. The hall sensor is a royal PITA if you have to replace it! When I replaced my valve spring, I Powder coated the cam gear cover and this threw the hall sensor off when I replaced it. In return, when I started the car, the sensor was grinding against the cam gear and wore a groove into my cam gear. I finally got it adjusted right and it hasn't made the sound since. I am kind of suspecting this to be my problem, but all it is, is a magnet that reads the open hole in the back of the cam gear...so I really don't think this would be the problem.

To set the hall sensor, I heard to use a washer, but thats a joke (and you would see if you tore it all apart and studied it). Just put it on, and tighten the screws enough, then rotate the motor by hand and have a buddy listen with a stethoscope for any grinding. Roatate the sensor up and down, and when the grinding/rubbing stops, tighten it down. Patience is key when setting it, or else you'll mess up the back of the cam gear like I did!

Quick Reply: S2 sensor question