Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New gauge development at Speedhut

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 02:00 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow that is really cool and the boost gauge in psi is a great idea!
Old 08-17-2007, 02:22 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys- thanks for the compliments- I got a week ago & barely had time to take a few pics- just now is the first I've actually posted- have had a rough summer...

I had the lighting converted to LEDs- I wanted to use Brian's (Perry 951) LEDs, but not sure when/if he'll be able to get back to them or not. Since the car is not running, I have not had the chance to hook the cluster up yet, to see how the illumination is, but I used clear LEDs, so have an idea what to expect. The psi gauge uses a dif sensor (is this what you meant Bill? It's still electric like the factory...) & was recalibrated, as was the speedo when converted to 200mph from 180. Yeah, I know I didn't need that, but I just thought it would be kind of cool & definately unique. Painting the needles & other orange areas, red, is an idea I've had for years... I did the boost gauge b/c I was trying to find an alternative to the A-pillar boost gauge- I didn't want a dual-pillar pod & the total cost involved, for a single, after recovering the pillar to make it look nice, etc, would be WELL over $200, so for $175 + $30 for the new sensor, it was good for me- especially since the cluster was already there...
Old 08-17-2007, 12:04 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithr726
Wow that is really cool and the boost gauge in psi is a great idea!
+1

If I ever get a 951, I'd definitely want to know PSI, and probably don't want to see the MPG
Old 08-17-2007, 12:18 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Robby
The psi gauge uses a dif sensor (is this what you meant Bill? It's still electric like the factory...) & was recalibrated, as was the speedo when converted to 200mph from 180.
I asked about the sender because the stock bar gauge isn't very accurate, so I was wondering if you had done anything to fix that issue.

I didn't even notice the speedo went to 200 til you mentioned it. Very nice!
Old 08-18-2007, 01:40 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

thanks for the compliments guys... The sender- Bill- I'm guessing then, that despite it's been recalibrated, it would still use the same "sender"...? I'm not sure now... Any input...? They said it would be perfect, but I'm sort of scared now... They said my speedo was spot-on, unlike most 944's they've tested, which read high, but not as high as most Bimmers... :-) Anyway, had to be recalibrated for the 200... Obviously, I didn't need that, but it didn't add but $50 more to do it at same time. I'm hoping for an S2 5th gear w/my 951 R&P which would give me ~180 at redline, so 200 is overkill, but, how many cars have 200mph speedos...? For that matter, not TOO many have 180's... :-)
Old 08-18-2007, 01:53 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Robby
thanks for the compliments guys... The sender- Bill- I'm guessing then, that despite it's been recalibrated, it would still use the same "sender"...? I'm not sure now... Any input...? They said it would be perfect, but I'm sort of scared now... They said my speedo was spot-on, unlike most 944's they've tested, which read high, but not as high as most Bimmers... :-) Anyway, had to be recalibrated for the 200... Obviously, I didn't need that, but it didn't add but $50 more to do it at same time. I'm hoping for an S2 5th gear w/my 951 R&P which would give me ~180 at redline, so 200 is overkill, but, how many cars have 200mph speedos...? For that matter, not TOO many have 180's... :-)
Hey Robby-Nice job on that cluster, it looks really great...200mph...well I don't know How did that soundproofing job work out since last time we talked? Have you had a chance to make a dB comparison yet. I plan on doing the new car with hints we both learned from our projects last Summer. Keep up the good work
Old 08-18-2007, 12:41 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the biggest issue people have with the stock gauge is just that there are no numbers, so you're guessing the pressure. Your's should be more effective simply because you'll be able to read it, not to mention the recalibration.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:50 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

NHS did my cluster...yes it was big dollars but I love it...and their service was superb. Blue LED, a temp gauge with #'s, white faces, re-painted dayglo orange #'s and needles, rebuilt odo gear, etc....
Old 08-19-2007, 05:30 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Joe- can you show us some pics...? It sounds great... If you can't post, please PM me & I'll send you my e-mail- I love seeing unique things w/these cars... Oh yeah, a lit-up pic would be great too- I'd have some w/mine, but it's not in the car yet... :-)

Bill- yeah, the #'s are the big deal- thanks for the input...

Steve- long time no talk... So you got another...? is it the 86 sapphire one in the sig...? I'd like to see some pics- shoot some my waay if you can... No, no tests on the interior- I cut out the rear shoulder belt brackets & sent them & the belts to Greg East for his project while I was back in there- it was some work, but finally got it- bought the carpet for the rear seat- I pulled all of what I originally did of the Neoprene off the rear seat b/c of the crappy glue I used- until you got me to get the red can stuff- that worked much better- thanks- anyway, the car started having probs & I took it in ~4months ago- one thing led to another & now the engine is w/tom C getting rebuilt- will be here next week, but might be anther month or so before it's back- gettting it repainted right after engine & also susp... It's going to be finished- I'm tired of chasing my tail around & around... I want the thing to be at least 90% done. I've got some nice plans too & my main goal is to have it by October for the fall- my fav time of year. But the big thing right now is getting it running right & then when it's back, I'll work the interior to death.... Can't wait!!!!
Old 08-19-2007, 07:22 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes...but first I'll have to take some! Maybe tonight!
Old 08-19-2007, 08:02 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Cant wait to see them J Berk. Robby yours look great as well. Id like to do a silver color change, temp #'s, boost deleted, 180 mph speedo and my voltage gauge checked...acts up a bit. Once I take it off the road this year sounds like Ill be sending it out to NHS...

Quick Reply: New gauge development at Speedhut