Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When your PO tells you, "Sure it was just done"............

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007 | 11:44 PM
Mamooguy
Three Wheelin'

I'm a bit confused ... when the PO said "everything" had been replaced, what was he referring to?

No matter what, this sucks big time. What a bloody letdown!

Hopefully it won't cost you too much to fix.

Hmm ... will this help? The price sure is right (so far).
Old 07-30-2007 | 12:28 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Wtate, I have an S2 head and cams... I don't know if it is the same as the 2.5 16 valve head or not. I PMed your dad my phone number.
Old 07-30-2007 | 12:59 AM
wtate
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys. When I went to look at the car I asked him the usual. When the water pump/belts were changed. I also asked him about tensioner pads when we took it for a test drive. He replied that he had just had it at a shop and they replaced the pads and a belt. The guy wasn't a car nut, and he couldn't tell me what belt. By the looks of it, the balance belt was replace as it looked pretty new when I replaced it. He said the water pump had been changed about 5 years ago. I knew I wanted to go ahead and change the pump and the belts. The PO I bought the car from owned it 10 years and drove it a little over 10,000 miles. It was is putt around town car for short trips. Unfortunately the cam on ebay won't fit my car as I have a 16valve motor. I don't know if S2 heads will fit my S or not. I will have to do some research.
Old 07-30-2007 | 01:13 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Sounds good.. I have the whole engine and all the parts to convert your car to 3.0L, but its a little more expensive that way.. Good luck, and sorry to hear about your misfortune.
Old 07-30-2007 | 06:08 AM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

I'm betting that the coolant holes don't line up from an S2 head to an S head. Kind of how the 2.5 block doesn't match the S2 cooling jackets, but the 2.7 does. That's what I'm talking about.

And yes, I did strip mine. I threw some loctite on both bolts to be safe. The one stripped one felt like it had some resistance when I backed it out to take it back out. I first used a torque setting of 10ft/lbs! I didn't even think about the valve cover bolt holding it down. I'll just have to make sure it's always tight and I should be A-Ok.
Old 07-30-2007 | 10:15 AM
Mamooguy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wtate
Thanks guys. When I went to look at the car I asked him the usual. When the water pump/belts were changed. I also asked him about tensioner pads when we took it for a test drive. He replied that he had just had it at a shop and they replaced the pads and a belt. The guy wasn't a car nut, and he couldn't tell me what belt. By the looks of it, the balance belt was replace as it looked pretty new when I replaced it. He said the water pump had been changed about 5 years ago. I knew I wanted to go ahead and change the pump and the belts. The PO I bought the car from owned it 10 years and drove it a little over 10,000 miles. It was is putt around town car for short trips. Unfortunately the cam on ebay won't fit my car as I have a 16valve motor. I don't know if S2 heads will fit my S or not. I will have to do some research.
Well, crap. That is several dozen kinds of suck.

Another place you might want to check is a Porsche salvager, such as these guys (they ship all over the world).

Hope it all works out for you.

Quick Reply: When your PO tells you, "Sure it was just done"............