Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED dash illum for early cars

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2020, 04:54 PM
sonnier
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by x2nervisx
Just an update for those who want to see what cool white leds look like in the early dash. I just completed the led conversion on my 83 944. I used cool white cluster bulbs on mine from superbrightleds.

p.s. I think the camera makes the led look brighter than they really are. They are much brighter than stock but they don't look overly bright like they do in these pictures.
Looks really good. If I decide to actually keep my gauges, this seems like something I will want to do.
Old 02-13-2023, 09:04 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Finishing the job. How many years later?!?

Update on this from the OP! Yup, still around... and finally got around to identifying the necessary bulb/socket combo for the fuel/temp gauge for early dashes. Note that the pic below was taken just before sunset, so the brightness is better evaluated from my original nighttime pic. I now added in the B8.5D-NWHP bulbs from superbrightleds.com (no affiliation) which swap in perfectly for the fuel and temp gauges, $2.49 each. Note that this is the "Natural White" color, and it's a better match if you want something comparable to the stock mildly yellow incandescent bulbs. I suspect this might be preferred if you have green gauges.

Link to part:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/b8-l...ment-panel-led

For me, I prefer the brighter look of their "Cool White" - which is what the speedo already has, same as in my original nighttime pic. Well, actually, same color as the tach in my original night pic; going back, I see I put the blue in the speedo - yeah, couldn't keep that, too annoying. So I'll be ordering up more, swapping those out... but in the meantime, at least I can once again read my gauges!

Oh, regarding the dimmer; as noted, it does still work somewhat. Ironically, it was useless with stock bulbs, because they were so dim. Now, with LEDs, they don't go as low as some might prefer if out in the country without ambient light... but it does still work and change the illumination some.

Last edited by 924RACR; 02-13-2023 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-14-2023, 09:30 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 95 Posts

I did mine about a year ago. I use the warm white because I love the yellow look!

I also designed my own circuit for the dimmer that uses the stock dimmer wheel. I can go from completely off to completely on. This pic is about halfway

The following users liked this post:
924RACR (02-15-2023)

Quick Reply: LED dash illum for early cars