Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Double adjustable Konis - ride height question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 10:34 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Double adjustable Konis - ride height question

I just picked up a set of gently used (no potholes just track) M030 double adjustable koni front struts, with springs, and adjustable rears.

I will be using the stock sway bars for now.

Anyone know the optimum setting/ride height. I dont want to play with the torsion bars in the rear at this point. i will be running either 205/225, 225/225 or 245/245 tires. probably 205/225 on the track until the tires are shot then wear out my 225/225 set.

again, what height?
Old 07-17-2007, 10:41 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Tom, what i would do is drop the rear using the camber eccentrics to the lowest setting and set the front to match. I did that with mine and it rides nicely, i got around 1-inch of drop all around right now.

I forget what my ride height is exactly, but we can measure it when we install them. It would probably be a better idea to have Sonny (or whoever you take it to for the alignment) drop the rear for you. You need a very powerful impact gun to loosen the eccentric bolts. So have him drop the rear and then have him (or do it when you get the car home) match the ride height in the front. Its going to be on the alignment rack anyhow..i doubt he will charge anymore to adjust it.

Edit - Just got your PM, throw some dates out you have time to futz around with the car. I am basically free until the end of August.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:58 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

what are you doing saturday - before or after the "secret project"? I got the parts. one part number is 951-343-032-32

do we need a special tool to spin the adjusting rings? What you see is what I got.
Attached Images  
Old 07-17-2007, 11:30 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've seen my car Tom and the fronts are nearly bottomed out...no BJ issues but I have the fabcar a-arms. The rear was lowered to match by Eurotire in NJ.

I think this front setup is stiffer than the stock stuff on your car (is this for the S2 or 951? i cant keep track of all your cars), so your car will be a bit looser (oversteer) than before.

You do need a tool to adjust the rings, its a spanner wrench IIRC. You could probably figure something out to adjust them although they look to be in a decent position from what I can see in the pic...

Enjoy...its a pretty quick job.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:38 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Adrial,
it is the S2. The turbo should be gone on saturday. I am now starting from scratch, a few grand poorer than i would have been had i started from scratch last year.

they are not set to where they are in the picture. but basically is what you are saying start as low as possible? install them as low as possible then bring the car to a shop to have it aligned and adjusted.

am i saving any money by doing the "big" work myself and having a shop 'fine tune' it?
Old 07-18-2007, 01:53 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Tom, ive got the spanner wrench needed to adjust them.

If the front is stiffer, wouldnt that cause understeer? That can probably be dialed out a little with the 19mm M030 bar and some fine tuning of the rebound and compression.

I think what we should do is just put them on and have Sonny set the ride height even when he drops the rear on the alignment rack. I measured mine earlier, roughly 12.75 inches from the fender lip to the center of the wheel. So we can probably shoot for something around there when we get them on as a initial position. It will take all of 10 minutes to adjust the ride height, especially with it up in the air.

I can probably hang out saturday and help you out with it. Tom C. wanted to pick up the super secret project that day and it should not take more than 3-4 hours to swap the struts and shocks.

Do you have two jack stands and a decent floor jack? I can bring my tools with me.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:40 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

i have two jack stands and a barely decent $35 sears floor jack that i use to swap tires.

should i try to recruit Dan so he could bring his fancy schmancy floor jack and some 8" wheels.

Quick Reply: Double adjustable Konis - ride height question